2 1L summer offers: USAO & mid-size law firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 1L summer offers: USAO & mid-size law firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 pm

I've gotten 2 offers for summer. US Attorney's Office in a big city, which is unpaid. Also gotten an offer at a mid-size law firm, about 450 attorneys. Would be in the NYC office. Salary is a little over $2000 a week, 10 weeks.

Long term career goals: pretty sure big law, then in-house. But I'm a 1L. Things could change. Right now being a DA is definitely not my first choice, but I could probably deal with it. I'm at a top 5 school, fall semester grades have came out, I'm at median. I tried hard last semester, but I think I can work smarter in the spring.

If I pick a public interest career, I don't have to worry about law school debt. If I don't, I'll graduate with about $220K in debt. But I'm a saver, and optimistic I can pay it off in 6-8 years if I get big law.

With that in mind, any advice?

BruceWayne

Re: 2 1L summer offers: USAO & mid-size law firm

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 pm

The firm, and it's not even close.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm

BruceWayne wrote:The firm, and it's not even close.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 pm

The answer is always, always the money. Do not think twice. This should be like a rule on TLS so such questions do not get asked. Between paid and unpaid work, always pick paid work.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

Pokemon wrote:The answer is always, always the money. Do not think twice. This should be like a rule on TLS so such questions do not get asked. Between paid and unpaid work, always pick paid work.

Not just that, pick the thing that could lead to postgrad employment over the thing that almost assuredly will not lead to postgrad employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 pm

OP here. USAO rarely hires straight out of law school. Mid-size firm definitely doesn't hire straight out of law school; they said so in the interview. So neither will offer a direct line of employment directly after graduation.

I'm considering $ and what will look good at OCI this fall when I'm trying to get a big law 2L summer associate. Given the feedback here, I'm leaning mid-size firm so far.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm considering $ and what will look good at OCI this fall when I'm trying to get a big law 2L summer associate. Given the feedback here, I'm leaning mid-size firm so far.

Firm will also look better during 2L OCI. Also use the money to pay down debt/not borrow as much.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Everyone has said it well...firm and don't look back. Is the USAO in the city you attend school? If so you could likely snag an externship next fall. Take the money and firm experience this summer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. USAO rarely hires straight out of law school. Mid-size firm definitely doesn't hire straight out of law school; they said so in the interview. So neither will offer a direct line of employment directly after graduation.

They probably won't look all that different for OCI, but 20k is a huge difference.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten 2 offers for summer. US Attorney's Office in a big city, which is unpaid. Also gotten an offer at a mid-size law firm, about 450 attorneys. Would be in the NYC office. Salary is a little over $2000 a week, 10 weeks.

Long term career goals: pretty sure big law, then in-house. But I'm a 1L. Things could change. Right now being a DA is definitely not my first choice, but I could probably deal with it. I'm at a top 5 school, fall semester grades have came out, I'm at median. I tried hard last semester, but I think I can work smarter in the spring.

If I pick a public interest career, I don't have to worry about law school debt. If I don't, I'll graduate with about $220K in debt. But I'm a saver, and optimistic I can pay it off in 6-8 years if I get big law.

With that in mind, any advice?

You could try and split, as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”