Summer jobs : judicial internship, law firm , or agency

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
come2gether

Summer jobs : judicial internship, law firm , or agency

Postby come2gether » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

What is the best option/looks best on resume, for goal of securinf a job at a private law firm after graduating? the judicial internship would be for a state lower court, law firm would be small/mid size, and agency would probably be a federal/state or government agency or non profit doing legal work.

LawIdiot86

Re: Summer jobs : judicial internship, law firm , or agency

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Assuming you're a 1L, my ranking system is:

AmLaw 200
Federal COA
NLJ 350
DOJ/State, federal financial agency, DOT/EPA, or DOD/DHS/DOE if it comes with a security clearance
Federal DC, USAO
Most other federal agencies (not the really odd ones like the Parole Commission or OGE)
Federal magistrate or FPD
State SC or AG or a really odd federal agency
25-116 lawyer firm
State trial court, PD, DA
State agency (unless it's something weirdly prestigious like the CalEPA or the NY DFS)
Under-25 lawyer firm

For non-profits, the universe is too broad to include even a general ranking. I would say the World Bank/IMF are better than a federal DC, but that your state chapter of the Red Cross is probably below a state trial court.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Ranking firms based on the amount of attorneys they have seems like a really, really dumb idea.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 pm

come2gether wrote:What is the best option/looks best on resume, for goal of securinf a job at a private law firm after graduating? the judicial internship would be for a state lower court, law firm would be small/mid size, and agency would probably be a federal/state or government agency or non profit doing legal work.

I recommend a judicial internship unless you need firm money (many schools will provide some funding). It's the best way to tell if you want to clerk and which track you are interested in pursuing: transactional or litigation. You'll have time to do the firm thing after 2L. Another plus is if you get a good judge she will give you career advice and maybe some connections. I still talk to the COA judge I interned with years ago and he even helped me land my clerkship.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Ranking firms based on the amount of attorneys they have seems like a really, really dumb idea.

It's dumb because obviously Susman or Bartlit Beck is better than a random firm with 140 lawyers, but in the general case it works because most firms of 200 lawyers pay better and get more interesting work than most firms of 25 lawyers. I was assuming OP would figure out if he was dealing with an exceptional case on his own.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Be a full-time RA for a prominent professor. Make your own schedule. Get paid. Stress-free. Build a potentially very helpful relationship.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm

CoA judges have summer interns? I'm assuming these, alongside NLJ250 SA spots, are very difficult to get?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:32 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:CoA judges have summer interns? I'm assuming these, alongside NLJ250 SA spots, are very difficult to get?

Yes they have spots, no they are not especially difficult to get. They're fairly rare but it's not the gunfight / overcrowding you see at firms, probably because most people assume they don't hire anybody.

I'm not saying they're easy to get or uncompetitive, but firms are probably the only 1L jobs that are actually extremely "competitive" as traditionally understood.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:CoA judges have summer interns? I'm assuming these, alongside NLJ250 SA spots, are very difficult to get?

I've heard that it's not quite as good an experience as other judges because you don't get much face time with the actual judge (more just working for the judge's clerks).

Disclaimer: I'm a 1L.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 pm

come2gether wrote:What is the best option/looks best on resume, for goal of securinf a job at a private law firm after graduating? the judicial internship would be for a state lower court, law firm would be small/mid size, and agency would probably be a federal/state or government agency or non profit doing legal work.

Describe the firm. The best way to get a 2L SA is to have a 1L SA, but I have no idea what the firm you're talking about it like so there's no telling whether it would help you. From the other two choices I'd be inclined to say federal agency > state lower court. Both would be fine though, I don't think what you do your first summer is that big of a deal depending on grades or unless you can get a 1L SA that will invite you back for your 2L summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”