What business jobs recruit from HLS?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hattori Hanzo

Re: What business jobs recruit from HLS?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 am

hellohi wrote:So I understand the opportunity cost (tuition is significantly lower for me so the main cost is the lack of salary for 3 years, I don't want to get into why tuition is lower) and I know that its not a good a idea to go to HLS just to work in business especially since I think I can get into an M7 B school. However I would still like to know who recruits from HLS. Does anyone have info about this? I feel like every thread about this including this one devolves into a discussion about why you should not go to Law school to get a business job, but I can't find anyone who actually knows the answers.

I answered that question in my first reply.

TatNurner

Postby TatNurner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
hellohi wrote:So I understand the opportunity cost (tuition is significantly lower for me so the main cost is the lack of salary for 3 years, I don't want to get into why tuition is lower) and I know that its not a good a idea to go to HLS just to work in business especially since I think I can get into an M7 B school. However I would still like to know who recruits from HLS. Does anyone have info about this? I feel like every thread about this including this one devolves into a discussion about why you should not go to Law school to get a business job, but I can't find anyone who actually knows the answers.

I answered that question in my first reply.

From what I have seen Hattori is right. Just to piggy back on what s/he said in an earlier reply, from HLS you can get almost any job that a career changer M7 MBA grad would get. So we are pretty much talking finance and consulting jobs and a smattering of F500 gigs in retail/consumer products etc, your mileage ultimately depending on your prior work experience.

In my experience consulting firms tend to be less selective than the finance firms. In your finance interviews you are going to have to prove that you know your technicals as well as the next B school kid. On the other hand, I've seen someone go from knowing absolutely nothing about MBB to prepping for a few days and nailing the interview. They seem to care more about raw capacity and are happy to shape you from there. Not sure you could get away with the same thing in IB for example. As GS puts it on their website:

This program (SA program) is open to students currently working towards an advanced degree such as an MBA, JD, MD, or LLM and is usually undertaken during the second or penultimate year of study. While your discipline or major are not important, we do expect a level of knowledge of the industry and the products and services we offer.

The uber competitive post-MBA gigs like PE/VC/HF where they require relevant prior experience are pretty much out of the question, just as they are for the average M7 career changing MBA grad.

Finally, you will have to network pretty hard just to ensure that you get your foot in the door, but with HLS on your resume you shouldn't have too many issues with that. And you work in consulting so hopefully you already have people you can call on.

linquest

Postby linquest » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am

To OP

Also, I have not ruled out being a lawyer but as many of you also know, its very hard to know if you'll like studying/practicing law without going to law school. So, I'm really just trying to gather all the data I can (I guess I've been a consultant for too long haha) before I decide.

You'll get better "data" through first-hand experience in the legal industry and talking to practicing attorneys.

Also, this is the wrong forum for a OL to post in-
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

Return to “Legal Employment”