What business jobs recruit from HLS?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hellohi

What business jobs recruit from HLS?

Postby hellohi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm

These forums always say that law schools aren't versatile unless you go to HYS (specifically HLS for business) so I was wondering what companies recruits from HLS? I know Mckinsey does, do the other consulting firms also? How about PE firms, banks, or VC's?

Anonymous User

Re: What business jobs recruit from HLS?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Sorry to threadjack, but I'd appreciate responses from people about schools other than HLS as well.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

hellohi wrote:These forums always say that law schools aren't versatile unless you go to HYS (specifically HLS for business) so I was wondering what companies recruits from HLS? I know Mckinsey does, do the other consulting firms also? How about PE firms, banks, or VC's?

Even a HYS degree isn't versatile. Do not go to HLS if you want to work at McKinsey.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm

First, I should warn you that I don't know anything about non-law jobs, this is just my best guess based on my experiences at HLS (including my conversations with a couple of classmates who are interested in non-law jobs).

There are a few consulting firms and banks that recruit for non-legal positions on campus. I don't think I've noticed any VC firms (although I've never looked). The issue isn't so much whether they recruit here, since you can easily apply for whatever you want (especially if they're in Boston or relatively close, meaning NYC). The issue is that they aren't looking for random law students who suddenly show up to interview with them. They're looking for law students who have full time work experience in the finance or management consulting industries with a coherent story about how attending law school fits into their career plans. If you don't have that kind of background, the best you can do is to dual enroll in lots of classes at the business school, join the business law journal, network through the business-related clubs, do non-law summer internships, etc., and hope that one of those employers is willing to give you shot.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
hellohi wrote:These forums always say that law schools aren't versatile unless you go to HYS (specifically HLS for business) so I was wondering what companies recruits from HLS? I know Mckinsey does, do the other consulting firms also? How about PE firms, banks, or VC's?

Even a HYS degree isn't versatile. Do not go to HLS if you want to work at McKinsey.

This is definitely false.

McKinsey and BCG have participated in EIP with law firms in the past 3 years and I know 4 people who are going to McKinsey next year. Their interview process is pretty streamlined and they hire JDs at the same level as MBAs. UBS and Goldman came for SIP last year but I don't know if they are coming this year. Other hedge fund/finance jobs are often posted on OCS website and I know several people in class of 2013 who have gone that route.

However at least for consulting if a firm doesn't come to campus, you will be left to your connections to get an interview. Namely Bain has been notoriously hard to get an interview with.

As to what the user above me said about work experience, it is true about certain bank/VC jobs. Consulting firms don't seem to care about it. Also, you are allowed to cross-register for up to 20 units at other schools, including HBS. Taking HBS classes as well as finance-related classes at HLS can make you a more viable candidate for jobs where prior knowledge of finance is important.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

McKinsey and BCG have participated in EIP with law firms in the past 3 years and I know 4 people who are going to McKinsey next year. Their interview process is pretty streamlined and they hire JDs at the same level as MBAs. UBS and Goldman came for SIP last year but I don't know if they are coming this year. Other hedge fund/finance jobs are often posted on OCS website and I know several people in class of 2013 who have gone that route.

However at least for consulting if a firm doesn't come to campus, you will be left to your connections to get an interview. Namely Bain has been notoriously hard to get an interview with.

As to what the user above me said about work experience, it is true about certain bank/VC jobs. Consulting firms don't seem to care about it. Also, you are allowed to cross-register for up to 20 units at other schools, including HBS. Taking HBS classes as well as finance-related classes at HLS can make you a more viable candidate for jobs where prior knowledge of finance is important.

I didn't say it wasn't possible to get a non-law job out of HLS. I said don't do go to HLS if you want to work at McKinsey. It's a bad gamble.

hellohi

Postby hellohi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for the responses, for a little background I currently work at a management consulting firm and recently got accepted into HLS, so I do have some background in business. I am curious if a law degree would help a career in business or if I would have to make a total career switch (which makes it a whole different decision for me).
I know the general consensus is to not go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer but as of now I have no idea what a lawyer does, so having business options open in case I end up not liking law could sway me towards law school. The reason I asked who recruited from there is that I assumed they are more open to law students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Wait, is this thread about getting offers for legal work at McK/others out of HLS? Or getting management consulting offers out of HLS?

hellohi

Postby hellohi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 pm

I meant management consulting

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 pm

hellohi wrote:Thanks for the responses, for a little background I currently work at a management consulting firm and recently got accepted into HLS, so I do have some background in business. I am curious if a law degree would help a career in business or if I would have to make a total career switch (which makes it a whole different decision for me).
I know the general consensus is to not go to law school if you don't want to be a lawyer but as of now I have no idea what a lawyer does, so having business options open in case I end up not liking law could sway me towards law school. The reason I asked who recruited from there is that I assumed they are more open to law students.

I'm the first Anon from above. There is no good reason for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars (tuition + lost salary) on law school unless you really want to be a lawyer. Why do you want to go back to school? And why not B-school instead of law, especially since you already have a consulting job that will look good on your applications? The vast majority of what you do in law school is useless for being a lawyer, so I can't even imagine how big of a waste it is for other careers.

hellohi

Postby hellohi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm the first Anon from above. There is no good reason for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars (tuition + lost salary) on law school unless you really want to be a lawyer. Why do you want to go back to school? And why not B-school instead of law, especially since you already have a consulting job that will look good on your applications? The vast majority of what you do in law school is useless for being a lawyer, so I can't even imagine how big of a waste it is for other careers.

Thanks for responding. I know the opportunity costs and will definitely take that into account when making my decision. But I also wanna get as much information as I can on the other half of the equation, what the options are if I do go to law school. So for right now I'm trying to find that out and then see whether or not it is worth the costs. Also, I have not ruled out being a lawyer but as many of you also know, its very hard to know if you'll like studying/practicing law without going to law school. So, I'm really just trying to gather all the data I can (I guess I've been a consultant for too long haha) before I decide.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hellohi wrote:Thanks for the responses, for a little background I currently work at a management consulting firm and recently got accepted into HLS, so I do have some background in business. I am curious if a law degree would help a career in business or if I would have to make a total career switch (which makes it a whole different decision for me).

This is highly credited.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm

ph14 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't possible to get a non-law job out of HLS. I said don't do go to HLS if you want to work at McKinsey. It's a bad gamble.

Yes and I don't think it's a bad gamble. MBB don't recruit at every school and have a pretty short list of target schools. Also, at least for McKinsey and BCG, the JD interview process is identical to MBA/non-JD process. So for someone who doesn't have the option of going to an MBB target business school, HLS could be the next best alternative.

That said, if the OP is purely focused on business side jobs and has the option to go to a top business school, that would be a better option than HLS. Below a certain ranking bschool, HLS becomes the better choice. I don't have a list of target bschools but top 10-15 is commonly believed to be the line.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Yes and I don't think it's a bad gamble. MBB don't recruit at every school and have a pretty short list of target schools. Also, at least for McKinsey and BCG, the JD interview process is identical to MBA/non-JD process. So for someone who doesn't have the option of going to an MBB target business school, HLS could be the next best alternative.

That said, if the OP is purely focused on business side jobs and has the option to go to a top business school, that would be a better option than HLS. Below a certain ranking bschool, HLS becomes the better choice. I don't have a list of target bschools but top 10-15 is commonly believed to be the line.

You don't even look at the gamble part of it, though. So if someone doesn't secure one of those business jobs, they either drop out after paying 50k+ or get a degree in something they don't apparently have interest in doing it. It might be the next best alternative, but that doesn't mean it's not a bad gamble.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:That said, if the OP is purely focused on business side jobs and has the option to go to a top business school, that would be a better option than HLS. Below a certain ranking bschool, HLS becomes the better choice. I don't have a list of target bschools but top 10-15 is commonly believed to be the line.

True, but OP already has a consulting job (possibly at MBB), plus good enough grades/test scores to get into HLS. (S)he will be able to get into a good B-school after a couple of years of work experience. Leaving consulting to get an irrelevant degree and then going back to consulting in 3 years with a metric ton of debt at 7% interest wouldn't make sense. It's probably best to find out what being a lawyer is like first, maybe by finding a way to work with the lawyers at the consulting firm, or being on staff at a law firm or legal non-profit or something.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Does anyone have the HLS EIP spreadsheet with bids/interviews/offers information? Or can remind me where on HLS's website it is.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
You don't even look at the gamble part of it, though. So if someone doesn't secure one of those business jobs, they either drop out after paying 50k+ or get a degree in something they don't apparently have interest in doing it. It might be the next best alternative, but that doesn't mean it's not a bad gamble.

A: career you don't like
B: HLS -> Law firm
C: HLS -> Business

If someone's preferences are C > B > A, then it is not really a gamble. Of course if C > B they should go to business school if they are able to but it might be out of the cards. b-school admissions are not numbers based so for someone with unprestigious employers/undergrad/etc it can be an uphill battle to get admitted to a top b-school.

but if they can't get into b-school, then it strikes me as perfectly rational to go to HLS for a C>B>A situation. If A is greater than B, it would be a terrible decision and as you characterized it, a gamble.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 pm

englawyer wrote:
ph14 wrote:

If someone's preferences are C > B > A, then it is not really a gamble. Of course if C > B they should go to business school if they are able to but it might be out of the cards. b-school admissions are not numbers based so for someone with unprestigious employers/undergrad/etc it can be an uphill battle to get admitted to a top b-school.

but if they can't get into b-school, then it strikes me as perfectly rational to go to HLS for a C>B>A situation. If A is greater than B, it would be a terrible decision and as you characterized it, a gamble.

I suppose. But can anyone pull that EIP data?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

ph14 wrote:I suppose. But can anyone pull that EIP data?

I have seen it but can't find it now. IIRC for 2011 McKinsey had 30-40 interview and made 3 offers for 2L summer but none for FT. This year I know of 3 full time (3L EIP) offers but don't know about 2L summers.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I have seen it but can't find it now. IIRC for 2011 McKinsey had 30-40 interview and made 3 offers for 2L summer but none for FT. This year I know of 3 full time (3L EIP) offers but don't know about 2L summers.

Okay, I found a copy on my computer:

McKinsey (2011): 2LS -- 36 interviews, 30 callbacks, 17 callbacks accepted, 3 offers

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36 pm

ph14 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Okay, I found a copy on my computer:

McKinsey (2011): 2LS -- 36 interviews, 30 callbacks, 17 callbacks accepted, 3 offers

Yeah that sounds right. Their offer rate at HLS is actually much higher than their overall offer rate, which is pretty close to 1-2%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Make friends with HBS people who may end up at Bain, or start networking/see if you know anyone currently at Bain. They have a program where employees can refer friends/people which lands you an interview (your friend gets a bonus too if you get hired).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 pm

englawyer wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I don't think that I've ever met anyone in the situation you're describing. If you can get into HLS, you can get a job that will look good on your HBS app 3 years from now. I certainly can't think of anyone whose preferences are so strong that it's worth spending $150,000 of tuition and 3 years of their life on law school.

hellohi

Postby hellohi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

So I understand the opportunity cost (tuition is significantly lower for me so the main cost is the lack of salary for 3 years, I don't want to get into why tuition is lower) and I know that its not a good a idea to go to HLS just to work in business especially since I think I can get into an M7 B school. However I would still like to know who recruits from HLS. Does anyone have info about this? I feel like every thread about this including this one devolves into a discussion about why you should not go to Law school to get a business job, but I can't find anyone who actually knows the answers.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 am

hellohi wrote:So I understand the opportunity cost (tuition is significantly lower for me so the main cost is the lack of salary for 3 years, I don't want to get into why tuition is lower) and I know that its not a good a idea to go to HLS just to work in business especially since I think I can get into an M7 B school. However I would still like to know who recruits from HLS. Does anyone have info about this? I feel like every thread about this including this one devolves into a discussion about why you should not go to Law school to get a business job, but I can't find anyone who actually knows the answers.

You can get a JD/MBA in 4 years at Harvard and in 3 years at Yale, Columbia, Northwestern or Penn. Since tuition isn't a major concern, I would seriously consider the JD/MBA. The fact that you can obtain the degrees in 3 years at a number of great schools opens up a ton of possibilities for those who are unsure about where they want to be or think a JD would be "helpful" for their future business objectives.

Return to “Legal Employment”