Former Transfers: Advice on Trading up firms, Clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Former Transfers: Advice on Trading up firms, Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Transfer student to lower T14. Obviously only one semester of grades to go on, but well within top 5% of class. 2L biglaw SA lined up in target market, but not exactly target firm. Any former transfers have advice or success stories on "trading up" firms through 3L OCI/mass mail? Any advice on navigating the clerkship process as a transfer student and how to determine how competitive you are? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Former Transfers: Advice on Trading up firms, Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 pm

I am also interested in responses to this question. I am in a similar situation. Transfer to a lower t14 (from a t4 if that changes anything) and got a 4.0 my first semester. However, I did not get a summer SA and will be working at a public defender office this summer. I am wondering the same things as OP (and anything extra that might fit my particular situation). Instead of trading up my focus would obviously be just getting a firm job through 3l OCI or clerkship advice. Thanks in advance and I hope I didn't hijack your thread OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm a TT to T14 transfer who was able to get a D.Ct. clerkship. I was able to obtain a SA with a firm that I liked in my target market the first time around, so I can't really help with the 3L OCI angle. For the clerkship, it almost goes without saying, but recommendations are extremely important, and you are already at a disadvantage compared to your non-transfer classmates. Do what you can to get to know professors well. Go to office hours, RA, do an independent study or write a comment with the assistance of a professor.

Try to get to know at least 4 professors well enough that later in the spring you can ask for letters. Many judges require three letters, and you should be prepared for at least one prof to say no. One did to me, and I got an A+ in the class where the prof turned me down, was one of the most regular participants in class (non-socratic), and went to office hours several times. I know another transfer who got turned down by a different professor where s/he got an A in the class and talked to the professor outside of class all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I'm also interested in the 3L OCI process, but I'm in a slightly different boat. T2 to T1, secondary journal, top 25% after the first semester. I know I'll need to pull up my grades. SA in a secondary market.

Assuming relevant practice area experience, how much leverage, exactly, is a 2L SA in the 3L OCI process?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 pm

bump

Return to “Legal Employment”