Transferred, Grades Back, What to do Now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferred, Grades Back, What to do Now?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I transferred to a Tier 1 school (top 30) and just got my grades back.

I have a 2.94 GPA right now. Probably at the bottom of the class. Great... I also don't have a job for the summer I'm a 2L. Not sure what to do at this point. I guess re-evaluate and figure out what to do about the rest of my 2L year? Not looking so good now.

It was all really my own fault--took the maximum # of credits and arguably the most difficult courses.

Work my butt of this semester? I'm only taking 4 easier classes that are open book. Damn.

eerie_erie

Re: Transferred, Grades Back, What to do Now?

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Hey, sorry to hear about your grades. Don't feel like you have to go at this alone. Why don't you make an appointment at your career center to talk about the situation? As for academics, go to the professors and find out what happened with your performance. This will serve two purposes: 1) it will help you have a clear story of how to improve on your semester if your grades come up during interviews/if you bring them up and 2) hopefully help with your future performance on similar types of subject matter/exams.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:54 pm

TBF, you probably missed out on oci by now right? Since it's January?

So by summer job, you mean small firms, mid firms, etc?

Grades mean a lot less for those. I would recommend to abandon ship as far as grades. Get a job at a small firm during the school year, get experience and seize the moment--show them something and make them give you a job after law school. Become so valuable that they can't get rid of you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

OP here. Thanks for your responses. I think that's what I'm probably going to end up doing--small firms. To be fair, I didn't get any C+/C/C-s grades. Stupid B-'s killed me.

I might intern at a general counsel at a college part-time if they want me. I'm definitely going to work harder this semester. Fortunately I chose my classes more strategically and I have fewer credit hours.

Return to “Legal Employment”