Ranking estimate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
greenchair

Bronze

Ranking estimate

Post by greenchair » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am

If my rank isn't official yet, but the career services/2Ls who know their shit have been telling me I am for sure "within the top x %" just by looking at my GPA, is that worth noting in my follow up letter about grades? Or should I just tell them that I'll update them when official rank is available?

I mean, GPA-rank correlation can't differ by that much... Does it hurt to just be like "this will historically put me around the top x %"

Thanks for your advice.

JG7773

Bronze

Re: Ranking estimate

Post by JG7773 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:43 am

Personally, I would wait until you have the official ranking. I think if I read a sentence like "Historically, . . . " it would make me think that you are outside of that rank, otherwise you would have just said your rank. While there is likely little harm in putting the estimated rank, there is far less to gain from it, provided that the rank comes in short order.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

Most CSOs expressly forbid giving a ranking estimate. They may allow you to provide a ranking distribution so the employer can extrapolate your ranking, but I would be very cautious about representing yourself with a rank you haven't yet earned.

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Firms know their cutoffs and where your school is. There is no reason to estimate.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Giving a ranking estimate is a bad idea. Only put down definite information. For example, even if you don't know your own rank, if you know for sure that top 10% = 3.7 and you have a 3.72, you can do something like "GPA - 3.72 (Top 10% = 3.7)."

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 pm

bk187 wrote:Giving a ranking estimate is a bad idea. Only put down definite information. For example, even if you don't know your own rank, if you know for sure that top 10% = 3.7 and you have a 3.72, you can do something like "GPA - 3.72 (Top 10% = 3.7)."
This. If I'm interviewing you and you have to update me with "well historically I would have been in the top 10%, but I really landed in the top 12%," I'm going to think you're an idiot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”