Tips for 3L with no job offers yet

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips for 3L with no job offers yet

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Hello,

I'm currently a 3L at a tier 2 school. I have yet to receive a job offer, and I'm getting pretty nervous. I've done a decent amount of networking and have a lot of people willing to provide references, but it seems I haven't been able to find anyone who is hiring. I'm in the top 25% at a tier 2 school, interested in any gov. or small firm jobs. I worked for a federal government agency over 2L summer. I got a writing sample, a glowing letter of recommendation, and many potential references, but they're not hiring at the moment. Do any of you have any advice for a 3L with no job offer at this point? I want to make sure my job search is as effective as possible in the upcoming weeks/months. Thanks!

Drake014

Re: Tips for 3L with no job offers yet

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Do you communicate to your network a specific area of law that you're interested in?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Definitely. Most of the attorneys I know have a good idea of what my goals are. At this point, I'm just cold e-mailing firms in the area that practice the area of law that I'm interested in. I'm also trying to get informational interviews with alumni in my area. I'm also starting to consider non-legal jobs just in case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:05 pm

It is hard to tell how bad the job market is right now since most 3Ls at T2 don't discuss whether or not they have a job. But the things you are doing are the common ones recommended.

Return to “Legal Employment”