Horrible grades, what should I be gunning for now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Drake014

Re: Horrible grades, what should I be gunning for now?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 am

Seriously though, start hustling in all directions.

Learn how to take law school exams (this may not even require increasing your studying time). There are a number of books out that give advice on this subject.

Start networking in small to medium firms. Don't go chasing the 160k until you can get your grades up.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Honestly there's still time to turn it around. I'm going to assume you got like straight B's or something with maybe a B- so you probably have around 3.0. I don't think it's out of the question you get around a 3.4 this semester and that averages out to 3.2 which is probably only slightly below median? Obviously I just made up all those numbers, but the point is you have a whole semester to do better and it's very possible

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Wow, thanks for all the input.

Yes, I want to be a lawyer and yes I've accepted my likely fate as having a non-glamorous job. Like Andythefir I have decided I'd rather do that than teaching route

Smokeylaurue also called it right on the dot:

My grades - B+,B,B-,B-

2.9.. which isn't very good, at all for my school.

I also need to talk to my professors... I THOUGHT I was doing everything right, read all the TLS wisdom and GTM and such... Idk what happened.

I was just feeling self-pity for awhile, but today realized that'll just lead to my failure. Starting my grind TODAY

Question - I'm apply for legal interships during semester today... but how much would people recommend working, since I need bounce back grades too. Example... this one job says 15-20 hours. Kind of worried about that...

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Most schools don't let 1Ls work during the school year. I mean, frequently you can get away with it, but usually it's non-legal work. (this is assuming you're full time. And you're talking about this year. If not... I'll show myself out...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Most schools don't let 1Ls work during the school year. I mean, frequently you can get away with it, but usually it's non-legal work. (this is assuming you're full time. And you're talking about this year. If not... I'll show myself out...)

20 hours maximum here. I'm only applying to legal type work / also legal volunteer type work... My main concern is getting a jobz, not paid right away

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also need to talk to my professors... I THOUGHT I was doing everything right, read all the TLS wisdom and GTM and such... Idk what happened.

Everyone else also did everything right, which you should have assumed they would.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 am

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but 3.0 is a gigantic hurdle you have to clear. The vast majority of OCI slots at my school required a 3.0, most Symplicity openings require a 3.0, and even CDO will revise their shiny outlook if you have <3.0. Get some detailed advice about how to change your routine. Internships this semester shouldn't even cross your mind. The only thing in your orbit right now ought to be getting at least a 3.1 to average out to a 3.0 for the fall.

Return to “Legal Employment”