If An Associate Hates You

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If An Associate Hates You

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm

If you apply to a top firm, and one of the associates there hates you (but not because of anything "professional related"..... say it involves a romantic encounter years earlier before either of you even applied to law school), would this hurt your chances of getting offered? Would partners take this person's assessment of you seriously?

ph14

Re: If An Associate Hates You

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you apply to a top firm, and one of the associates there hates you (but not because of anything "professional related"..... say it involves a romantic encounter years earlier before either of you even applied to law school), would this hurt your chances of getting offered? Would partners take this person's assessment of you seriously?

It could. It could not. You don't even know the associate said anything. But I have to imagine that a partner would be hesitant to hire someone who might cause internal conflict, especially with so many qualified potential associates out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you apply to a top firm, and one of the associates there hates you (but not because of anything "professional related"..... say it involves a romantic encounter years earlier before either of you even applied to law school), would this hurt your chances of getting offered? Would partners take this person's assessment of you seriously?

It could. It could not. You don't even know the associate said anything. But I have to imagine that a partner would be hesitant to hire someone who might cause internal conflict, especially with so many qualified potential associates out there.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

could it influence other firms if person is nuts, and your judgment at the time was based on being a teenager and the person was crazy? think insaneness to the point you would carry a tape recorder on you when with this person to protect yourself from possible rape accusations if you anticipated rejection relationships and person came through on their threats?

You're trolling.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

could it influence other firms if person is nuts, and your judgment at the time was based on being a teenager and the person was crazy? think insaneness to the point you would carry a tape recorder on you when with this person to protect yourself from possible rape accusations if you anticipated rejection relationships and person came through on their threats?

nice ninja edit.....btw you sound crazy

anyway, it is just one firm, and there are tons of them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

It depends.

My experience is that a whiff of "maybe not perfect" is all it takes to shit-can an applicant, but most attorneys will have no involvement with most hiring decisions.

Since grinding axes at your workplace is not a great strategy, and the odds of the person going OUT OF THEIR WAY to shitcan you are likely quite low. If they serendipitously wind up on the other side of an interview from you, I'd guess your odds of getting an offer hover around zero.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

nice ninja edit.....btw you sound crazy

anyway, it is just one firm, and there are tons of them

aces

Postby aces » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:38 pm

If this person goes out of his/her way to make sure their opinion gets to the recruiting committee, I imagine it could hurt your chances. In much the same way that an associate or partner could "put in a good word for you," I imagine they can also submit a negative opinion.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 pm

OP you should remind the associate of how you exercised your dominance over him.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

I'd like to hear this story in full.

Return to “Legal Employment”