Federal Public Defender 1L Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arkansawyer

Federal Public Defender 1L Summer

Postby arkansawyer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 am

So I just accepted a position with a federal public defender this summer. I've read a lot of differing opinions on how this will affect my career going forward, and I'd like to hear opinions.

If I choose to do public service going forward, have I pigeon-holed myself into defense work, as opposed to prosecution?

Is this experience an asset or hindrance at OCI?

Gorki

Re: Federal Public Defender 1L Summer

Postby Gorki » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm

No, it is not a hindrance. OCI jobs are largely going to be for law firms defending rich clients, they just want to see that you have actually worked in a legal position. I struggle to see how even any prosecutor but the most Shitboomer-rific DA would hold PD work against you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 pm

In my experience proseuctors are much more open to hiring people with defense work. Public defenders, on the other hand, often look at someone who prosecution experience as "tainted" in some way. In the office I summered with I would say half the prosecutors had been public defenders. In the PD's office, none of the public defenders had been prosecutors.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the office I summered with I would say half the prosecutors had been public defenders. In the PD's office, none of the public defenders had been prosecutors.

Think about other reasons why this could be true. DAs offices tend to be better run and better funded, often pay more, and are perceived to have better exit options. Furthermore, if you're a prosecutor who wants to do defense, you can go to a firm or start your own firm and probably make more money than PD. If you are a PD who wants to prosecute, you can only do that with the government.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In the office I summered with I would say half the prosecutors had been public defenders. In the PD's office, none of the public defenders had been prosecutors.

Think about other reasons why this could be true. DAs offices tend to be better run and better funded, often pay more, and are perceived to have better exit options. Furthermore, if you're a prosecutor who wants to do defense, you can go to a firm or start your own firm and probably make more money than PD. If you are a PD who wants to prosecute, you can only do that with the government.

yes true, but if you have being a prosecutor on your resume, many PD offices won't even talk to you. I would definitely find it very weird if there was someone in the office who was a former prosecutor (unless they had some crazy "come to jesus" moment).

Return to “Legal Employment”