Ask Networking Connection for Summer Program Slot?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask Networking Connection for Summer Program Slot?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 pm

I'm at a T6, above median and struck out during OCI/mass mailing due to health problems. I've basically given up on a big firm summer and have been focusing my efforts elsewhere. However, a family friend who's a big client of a V20 forwarded my resume to the hiring partner (who is also a graduate of my school) of the firm. He offered to have lunch with me. While I'm perfectly happy to use it as a networking contact and see what happens next year, I was wondering if it would be alright to ask him if they could add a slot in the summer program or at least consider me for it, obviously knowing it's probably full at this point. Would that be crazy/too forward? Or should I just stick to standard networking banter?

dingbat

Re: Ask Networking Connection for Summer Program Slot?

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a T6, above median and struck out during OCI/mass mailing due to health problems. I've basically given up on a big firm summer and have been focusing my efforts elsewhere. However, a family friend who's a big client of a V20 forwarded my resume to the hiring partner (who is also a graduate of my school) of the firm. He offered to have lunch with me. While I'm perfectly happy to use it as a networking contact and see what happens next year, I was wondering if it would be alright to ask him if they could add a slot in the summer program or at least consider me for it, obviously knowing it's probably full at this point. Would that be crazy/too forward? Or should I just stick to standard networking banter?
What have you got to lose?

I'd first see how it goes and maybe drop a hint. Definitely do not lead with it

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I wouldn't get quite as hardcore as this guy, but there's probably something to learn here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hlete.html

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I think you might be going about this the wrong way. You shouldn't be trying to extract something from your contact, but instead just use him/her to your advantage. He/she might not be able to expand the SA program, but he/she might be able to call a friend at another firm and get you an interview. You don't need to potentially ruin a relationship by making a crazy demand. Just be a normal person and ask if he/she can help you out. That is why people network and that is what he/she wants to do if he/she agreed to have lucnh with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:22 pm

OP Here

Thanks for the advice. I definitely won't lead with it but will try to work it in if I feel I have a good enough vibe with the guy.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:58 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 pm

ajax adonis wrote:How'd it go?

It went well. He had actually looked into it before the meeting but they won't add a slot. Good networking meeting though. Going to keep in contact.

Return to “Legal Employment”