TTT/TTTT 2L Hustled My Way to a Summer Jerb

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barestin

TTT/TTTT 2L Hustled My Way to a Summer Jerb

Postby barestin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm

As a 2L at a TTT/TTTT (top third, almost full scholly, $40K anticipated graduation debt) I was finally able to land a summer law clerk/associate position at a boutique firm. After months of ineffective mass-mailing, exhausting all of my family/friend contacts for legal job opportunities that have long-term possibilities, and freaking out, it feels amazing to finally come out with something positive. I met the partner of the boutique firm at a random networking event, emailed him a few weeks later saying how great it was to learn about his firm and if there are any summer employment positions at his firm, I'd be very interested in applying. He e-mailed me back asking me to come in for an interview and offered my a paid summer jerb on the spot. I currently work at a small civil firm but it is a longshot they will ever offer me a full-time position as an associate after graduation.

I was very straightforward with the partner during my interview with the boutique firm after he offered me the summer position by asking him about my long-term prospects with the firm after graduation if they were pleased with my work this summer. He told me of course there are long-term possibilities and that they could actually currently use at least a part-time attorney now with the heavy workflow they have. The firm is really laid-back, the associates seem really helpful, and the partner is one of the nicest attorneys I've ever met. Just thought I'd share my success story to raise the spirits of those still looking for their own scraps in this torrid legal job market.
Last edited by barestin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Re: TTT/TTTT 2L Hustled My Way to a Summer Jerb

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Congrats.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Step one complete. Congratultions dude. Now turn on the gas, work your balls off, and get the offer. Also, don't let your grades slip this semester! I have no real basis for this, but I feel like people who got their SA gigs through networking/hustling/connections/whatever you want to call it probably face a slightly greater risk of being no-offered than people who got it through the traditional OCI/grades route.

barestin

Postby barestin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 pm

SBL wrote:Step one complete. Congratultions dude. Now turn on the gas, work your balls off, and get the offer. Also, don't let your grades slip this semester! I have no real basis for this, but I feel like people who got their SA gigs through networking/hustling/connections/whatever you want to call it probably face a slightly greater risk of being no-offered than people who got it through the traditional OCI/grades route.

Thanks! I'm definitely planning on working my ass and can't wait to start! I was actually surprised the attorney didn't even mention grades, let alone request a transcript. Regardless, I will not let my grades slip...I don't want to give them any reason not to hire me on.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 am

Congrats!

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:45 am

Congrats!
In which market? urban? suburban?

barestin

Postby barestin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 pm

h_jane_w wrote:Congrats!
In which market? urban? suburban?

LA-not my home market but still in California, which is where I grew up and I have no inclination of ever leaving.

Return to “Legal Employment”