Legal Aid Society -- difficult?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

Legal Aid Society -- difficult?

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 pm

How hard is it to get a Legal Aid internship for your 1L summer? I mean, they are unpaid, is there fierce competition? or can I just easily volunteer for it?

frankc

Re: Legal Aid Society -- difficult?

Postby frankc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Pretty easy. A bunch of my friends who got Legal Aid internships contacted them in like March/April and the interview process seemed more or less cursory.

splittermcsplit88

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

I find that hard to believe lol apps are usually due in Feb., and your peers probably went to NYU, am I right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about LAS in NYC.

The answer is, it depends. LAS is an umbrella covering a wide variety of projects. The Civil Practice division alone has 17 different program units. The Criminal Practice division has separate trial offices in each of the five boroughs, plus Criminal Appeals and Special Litigation... Some units are more popular than others, some take more interns than others. It can be really hard to get into one unit and much easier to get into another.

Application periods vary, too. Some units fill up by January or February. I was lucky because I got to March without finding anything and then found an LAS unit that was still taking apps.

The things they all care about, I think, is demonstrated interest in PI/pro bono work and a reason to be in NYC if you're from out of town. I think they'd rather give an internship to someone from Brooklyn or Cardozo than some T14 student who's just mailing resumes around. When I interned there, everyone was either from a local NYC school or had lived in NYC before. I had classmates that weren't from NYC that applied to LAS units because they wanted to be in NYC for the summer and they didn't get anywhere.

Return to “Legal Employment”