Just now finding a CB letter... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Just now finding a CB letter...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

...from August in my old mail that somehow fell through the cracks. The letter was the result of 3L mass email. The recruiter had replied asking for more info (transcript, writing sample, etc.), and what office I wanted, but then simply thanked me for the info after I sent the additional material that same day. I had no idea he followed up a week later with the CB snail mail letter I just now found (why o why did he not email or call???).

In an additional twist, my academic situation has changed since then, and my graduation has been pushed out to 2014. Well after the summer/fall recruiting season, I suddenly find I need an SA for next summer.

Is there any way I can leverage this firm's past interest into another chance with them?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Re: Just now finding a CB letter...

Post by gdane » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 am

Just contact the person and let them know what happened. Sure its a little embarrassing, but it happens. You have nothing to lose (and lots to gain) by just saying "Hi. I know it has been many months since you sent this letter, but I just found it. If you would have me I would love to speak with you about a summer position with your firm. Thank you."

Good luck.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I would avoid mentioning the oversight. Instead, I would send an email with the requested information and an updated resume, referencing the CB letter in the subject line. In the body of the email, I would inform the recipient of my new graduation date and desire for a SA position. I would follow-up by telephone in 5–10 business days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Agent, I did reply to the request for additional material immediately back in August. I'll edit the original post to make that clearer.

The thing that is giving me pause right now is that their summer 2013 class has probably been closed for months (NYC biglaw boutique, non-V100, but well-known and V-rated in their niche. I don't really care about this stuff, only mentioning it to show that they follow the standard biglaw hiring cycle).

Somehow, I feel like it's easier to get hired as a 3L, than as a 2L SA after the recruiting season at biglaw.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 am

Sorry OP, this situation is a bummer. I'd send an updated cover letter, updated resume, and updated transcript. Maybe an updated writing sample too. I'd still avoid mentioning the missed CB letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks.

Any more thoughts, anyone? Especially in regards to waiting till summer to apply as a 3L again?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 pm

wtf lol at not mentioning letter. fucking weirdos. dood, just call him up and tell him the truth EXACTLY as u have here. ie ending with ur continued interest and ask him what to do moving forward.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 pm

I think it's a bad call for OP to draw attention to this mistake by attempting to explain it in the email that he will inevitably send with his updated resume and transcript.

OP runs a risk that the recipient forwards application emails to others involved in hiring (or saves and adds them to application files). Why point out the blunder to each reader?

I also think it would be fine to reference the missed callback solely via phone, before emailing updated materials.
wtf lol at not mentioning letter. fucking weirdos. dood, just call him up and tell him the truth EXACTLY as u have here. ie ending with ur continued interest and ask him what to do moving forward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I called and explained everything. It went exactly as expected: "summer class has been closed for months, send me your stuff to keep on file." I offered instead to check back in August for 3L hiring. My greatest fear was that this belated attempt to get into the summer class would prejudice me against consideration for a post-grad position, but judging from the friendly tone of our conversation, that doesn't seem to be the case. Naturally, I am well aware that no promises have been made, but I think that in August, I will at least be in a marginally better position with regard to this recruiter than "random 3L."

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called and explained everything. It went exactly as expected: "summer class has been closed for months, send me your stuff to keep on file." I offered instead to check back in August for 3L hiring. My greatest fear was that this belated attempt to get into the summer class would prejudice me against consideration for a post-grad position, but judging from the friendly tone of our conversation, that doesn't seem to be the case. Naturally, I am well aware that no promises have been made, but I think that in August, I will at least be in a marginally better position with regard to this recruiter than "random 3L."
Maybe, but more likely she will forget about you entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”