1L OCI Grade Cutoffs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L OCI Grade Cutoffs

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi guys,

Got my first semester grades back, and they weren't quite as good as I hoped. 3.46 GPA (top third is 3.5). Alot of the OCI stuff on my school's symplicity has interview cutoffs at top 30% for SA positions. Is it even worth putting in a bid, or are they going to be really strict about the grade cutoff? Also, with my GPA, at a top 30 regional school, what kinds of summer jobs are in my wheelhouse? Career services isn't being very helpful besides saying "just apply for stuff you're interested in."

ph14

Gold

Re: 1L OCI Grade Cutoffs

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi guys,

Got my first semester grades back, and they weren't quite as good as I hoped. 3.46 GPA (top third is 3.5). Alot of the OCI stuff on my school's symplicity has interview cutoffs at top 30% for SA positions. Is it even worth putting in a bid, or are they going to be really strict about the grade cutoff? Also, with my GPA, at a top 30 regional school, what kinds of summer jobs are in my wheelhouse? Career services isn't being very helpful besides saying "just apply for stuff you're interested in."
Depends on the firm. It's worth bidding generally, unless from past data you can tell that they really have a hard cut off at top 30%. In any event, you only have half the grades that determine whether you are top 30% at OCI so there is no point in asking this question now or worrying about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Are those hard grade cutoffs or just what they are generally looking for? I know places with hard criteria won't even let you submit your stuff to the employer. However, at other schools the firms have a general line for the grades they're looking for that they use at all T14s, even though a lot of those places don't even rank.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are those hard grade cutoffs or just what they are generally looking for? I know places with hard criteria won't even let you submit your stuff to the employer. However, at other schools the firms have a general line for the grades they're looking for that they use at all T14s, even though a lot of those places don't even rank.
It depends on the firm. If I had to guess, I would say probably for the majority it is more general ballpark, but my school has weird grading/OCI so I can't really speak from the only available data I have (my school's OCI data).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:03 pm

1L firm jobs are very rarely strictly grade based and meritocratic. Ties, connections, and soft factors are often much more important. They're also extremely rare, so you shouldn't be thinking of 1L OCI as a realistic shot at a job unless you're packing close ties to a market that does hire lots of 1Ls (texas and the south come to mind).

More importantly:
thesealocust wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Image

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”