Montana, Wyoming, The Dakotas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrosmith

Montana, Wyoming, The Dakotas

Postby mrosmith » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Is there a increase in demand for attorneys in this area corresponding to the economic boom?

Gorki

Re: Montana, Wyoming, The Dakotas

Postby Gorki » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Of course. But you need to note that a lot of this work can still be done by people in Chicago, NYC, Midwestern metro law offices. Many smaller firms are expanding into oil & gas + real estate. If you have REAL ties to any of these areas you should apply to any and all firms. I went to UG near North Dakota, and really like the area, but my ties were not enough to get me callbacks versus UND, USD, UWyo students.

mrosmith

Postby mrosmith » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 am

So moving there and taking said bar wouldn't be enough?

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm

mrosmith wrote:So moving there and taking said bar wouldn't be enough?

(full disclosure, I will be moving to the region after graduation next year for personal reasons and have only just started researching the market, bar requirements, etc.)

I think the answer more depends on what law you want to practice and where you want to live. In most of the boom area the demand for everyday services, including legal services has increased. I also read recently that ND also expanded its public defender office because they couldn't litigate the cases fast enough to meet the demand and imagine MT probably faces similar issues. If you are looking to get specifically into oil & gas, that can be a bit trickier, though many of the companies out there do maintain small in-house staffs without any ties or practice it may be hard. However, if that is your interest area, government positions may be a good route to go.

Honestly, the biggest issue you will face out there is the "just moving" issue. There is a serious discrepancy between the housing supply and the demand particularly in western ND and eastern MT. The oil and gas industry in WY has been going on for much longer than the recent boom and may provide more stability in terms of opportunities, which is also worth considering.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm

You will not find housing. I'm 100% serious. I know people who have been on waiting lists for apartments in North Dakota for 14 months.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:16 pm

People living full time in Bismarck, ND, and living during the week at the equivalent of communal hostel deals for professionals/corporate types is not unheard of.... Beats those man camps any day of the week, but still Bismarck as a 3 hour drive at 75 mph away from most business hubs in the Bakken.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 pm

So my willingness to live out of my parents 35' camper trailer (FEMA style) could be a plus?

Return to “Legal Employment”