1L Summer for NYC Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Any reason interning for an Eastern District judge (Suffolk Courthouse) would be a disadvantage in Fall OCI?

Mainly going to look for NYC and the few firms with Long Island offices.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 pm

why would it be?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:why would it be?

Just because it is not Southern District - I.e., where NYC is.

And because I'm a neurotic 1L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:52 pm

NYC firms don't care as much about ties. I've lived in every time zone but never anywhere close to NYC. I worked in the Midwest my 1L summer. During the callback with the firm where I accepted, I only got one question in passing about why I wanted to work in NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

OP.

Would Eastern District be like "almost ties" since it is just one district over and NYC offices sometimes argue cases out there?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:07 am

What you do 1L summer does not matter for future hiring, so long as it's legal, unless it has a chance of turning into a 2L or permanent offer itself.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:05 am

thesealocust wrote:What you do 1L summer does not matter for future hiring, so long as it's legal, unless it has a chance of turning into a 2L or permanent offer itself.


Where you do it matters more than what you do. Consider doing something either in NYC if you can get funding or outside of your "obvious" market if NYC is financially unfeasible. Most NYC firms don't care too much, but it's easier if you've shown some interest.

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby bowser » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 am

bdubs wrote:
thesealocust wrote:What you do 1L summer does not matter for future hiring, so long as it's legal, unless it has a chance of turning into a 2L or permanent offer itself.


Where you do it matters more than what you do. Consider doing something either in NYC if you can get funding or outside of your "obvious" market if NYC is financially unfeasible. Most NYC firms don't care too much, but it's easier if you've shown some interest.



So in your opinion someone from the midwest who goes to an NYC school might be hurting themselves with NYC firms (even if very slightly) by not working in NY 1L summer?

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 am

bowser wrote:
bdubs wrote:
thesealocust wrote:What you do 1L summer does not matter for future hiring, so long as it's legal, unless it has a chance of turning into a 2L or permanent offer itself.


Where you do it matters more than what you do. Consider doing something either in NYC if you can get funding or outside of your "obvious" market if NYC is financially unfeasible. Most NYC firms don't care too much, but it's easier if you've shown some interest.



So in your opinion someone from the midwest who goes to an NYC school might be hurting themselves with NYC firms (even if very slightly) by not working in NY 1L summer?


I disagree slightly with bdubs. I mean maybe not disagree, but I just don't think it's a factor. I know plenty of people who have backgrounds like:

Grew up in the south -> college in the south -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in the south -> NYC firm

or

Grew up in DC -> college in the midwest -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in DC -> NYC firm

It's really, really easy to convince an NYC firm that you want to go to NYC. It's the center of the commercial legal universe, the only place to look if your primary goal is transactional work, and is home to an insane portion of the total number of biglaw jobs in the country (There are about 5,000 total every year, and there are over 500 SA positions per year just amongst the V10 or so firms in NYC, it's crazy). As an x-factor, new yorkers tend to love their town and telling them you want to live in it won't surprise them in the slightest. How many songs, movies, tv shows, and books can you think of off the top of your head about the desire to move / live / work in NYC?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 am

thesealocust wrote:
bowser wrote:
bdubs wrote:
thesealocust wrote:What you do 1L summer does not matter for future hiring, so long as it's legal, unless it has a chance of turning into a 2L or permanent offer itself.


Where you do it matters more than what you do. Consider doing something either in NYC if you can get funding or outside of your "obvious" market if NYC is financially unfeasible. Most NYC firms don't care too much, but it's easier if you've shown some interest.



So in your opinion someone from the midwest who goes to an NYC school might be hurting themselves with NYC firms (even if very slightly) by not working in NY 1L summer?


I disagree slightly with bdubs. I mean maybe not disagree, but I just don't think it's a factor. I know plenty of people who have backgrounds like:

Grew up in the south -> college in the south -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in the south -> NYC firm

or

Grew up in DC -> college in the midwest -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in DC -> NYC firm

It's really, really easy to convince an NYC firm that you want to go to NYC. It's the center of the commercial legal universe, the only place to look if your primary goal is transactional work, and is home to an insane portion of the total number of biglaw jobs in the country (There are about 5,000 total every year, and there are over 500 SA positions per year just amongst the V10 or so firms in NYC, it's crazy). As an x-factor, new yorkers tend to love their town and telling them you want to live in it won't surprise them in the slightest. How many songs, movies, tv shows, and books can you think of off the top of your head about the desire to move / live / work in NYC?


I can't completely disagree because I had success in NYC, but a few firms asked me why NYC and I felt like I needed a good answer. I think "because NYC has the best quality work" is appropriate for some (most?) firms, but it won't be sufficient for all of them. I'm not saying that you should turn down an objectively better position outside of NYC for one in NYC, but you should consider location when thinking about how you will craft your OCI "story"

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby bowser » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:33 am

bdubs wrote:
thesealocust wrote: I disagree slightly with bdubs. I mean maybe not disagree, but I just don't think it's a factor. I know plenty of people who have backgrounds like:

Grew up in the south -> college in the south -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in the south -> NYC firm

or

Grew up in DC -> college in the midwest -> law school in the south -> 1L summer in DC -> NYC firm

It's really, really easy to convince an NYC firm that you want to go to NYC. It's the center of the commercial legal universe, the only place to look if your primary goal is transactional work, and is home to an insane portion of the total number of biglaw jobs in the country (There are about 5,000 total every year, and there are over 500 SA positions per year just amongst the V10 or so firms in NYC, it's crazy). As an x-factor, new yorkers tend to love their town and telling them you want to live in it won't surprise them in the slightest. How many songs, movies, tv shows, and books can you think of off the top of your head about the desire to move / live / work in NYC?


I can't completely disagree because I had success in NYC, but a few firms asked me why NYC and I felt like I needed a good answer. I think "because NYC has the best quality work" is appropriate for some (most?) firms, but it won't be sufficient for all of them. I'm not saying that you should turn down an objectively better position outside of NYC for one in NYC, but you should consider location when thinking about how you will craft your OCI "story"


I ask because I'm probably gonna use every last bid on NY (unless I kill it; then I might try a few for DC), but I'm planning on applying to the few big law firms in Detroit too. I think there would be some benefit to working 1L summer in Michigan for the Detroit firms, but that's mostly a backup plan to NYC.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:37 am

bowser wrote:I ask because I'm probably gonna use every last bid on NY (unless I kill it; then I might try a few for DC), but I'm planning on applying to the few big law firms in Detroit too. I think there would be some benefit to working 1L summer in Michigan for the Detroit firms, but that's mostly a backup plan to NYC.


A firm in Detroit which would pay and could potentially lead to a full-time offer is objectively better than 95% of what you will find in NY. Unless you are choosing between NYC firm and Detroit firm, you should take the paid position with potential for a full-time offer.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8442
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 am

bdubs wrote:
bowser wrote:I ask because I'm probably gonna use every last bid on NY (unless I kill it; then I might try a few for DC), but I'm planning on applying to the few big law firms in Detroit too. I think there would be some benefit to working 1L summer in Michigan for the Detroit firms, but that's mostly a backup plan to NYC.


A firm in Detroit which would pay and could potentially lead to a full-time offer is objectively better than 95% of what you will find in NY. Unless you are choosing between NYC firm and Detroit firm, you should take the paid position with potential for a full-time offer.


+1. I think we're basically on the same page.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:01 am

OP again.

I clearly see here that ties to New York are not that big of a deal. What I'm having a hard time grasping is that Long Island is a different market than NYC. I've lived in Long Island my whole life and most people in my town work in Manhattan. Would that alone be seen as ties? I mean if asked why New York my instinct answer would be that ive lived there and that's where my family is.

Is it irrelevant anyway since my school is also in NYC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm

I lived on Long Island my entire life up until law school. Even went to undergrad there. I am currently attending law school in the NY/NJ region. Went on multiple interviews and was never asked once why I wanted to work in NY. My resume screamed "NY", so I think it answered the question. Even if they did ask you, telling them that you were born and raised in NY with family/relational ties is a completely acceptable answer. Although technically Long Island is in a different market than NYC, it is not perceived that way by employers.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Icculus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

I am from Boston, go to law school in Chicago, and spent my 1L summer in Chicago. I interviewed only with Boston and NY firms, and even though my resume screamed Boston (there for 30 years before law school) I was asked more "Why Boston" questions than "Why NY". And when I was asked why NY I answered I wanted to be back on the east coast, I had friends there, and most importantly it was the best legal market, best work, best opportunity. No one seemed to question my answer, and most people I interviewed with essentially had the attitude, "Why wouldn't you want to work in NY?" It is not hard to convince NY firms you want NY.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 pm

This thread got really convoluted somehow. The simple answer is that EDNY is absolutely fine. If you have the chance to do SDNY then that's probably better, but because some people might find it slightly more intriguing on your resume, not because of "ties." I'm in the camp that thinks ties do matter in NYC to some extent, but EDNY is fine as far as that goes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:08 am

also consider NY Supreme Ct. Commercial Division.. just as/if not more prestigious than SDNY if you are looking for commercial lit in NYC

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby 5ky » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 am

bdubs wrote:I can't completely disagree because I had success in NYC, but a few firms asked me why NYC and I felt like I needed a good answer. I think "because NYC has the best quality work" is appropriate for some (most?) firms, but it won't be sufficient for all of them. I'm not saying that you should turn down an objectively better position outside of NYC for one in NYC, but you should consider location when thinking about how you will craft your OCI "story"


I endorse this 100%, except that when I was interviewing, probably about 75% of the firms asked me why NYC, and a few even gave a little pushback on it. Maybe it was pretty standard and I just had reaaally low expectations for what they would ask about that, I'm not sure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer for NYC Big Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 am

Get close to the city as possible and attend firm events...... You can rack up interviews that way before OCI starts....

Worked for me




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.