Finding a job in either criminal law or public interest law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DayTripper1967

Finding a job in either criminal law or public interest law

Postby DayTripper1967 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 pm

I go to law school at the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. I have received 3 of my 5 grades for the first semester and I'm expecting to be around a 3.0 GPA, which is around the 50%-55% mark for class rank. I'm kind of worried that my grades are too low even for public interest law and for a public defender. Am I screwed? I have not seriously considered dropping out at this point, but the thought has definitely crossed my mind. Could any of you share your opinions on my situation? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Finding a job in either criminal law or public interest law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 pm

DayTripper1967 wrote:I go to law school at the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. I have received 3 of my 5 grades for the first semester and I'm expecting to be around a 3.0 GPA, which is around the 50%-55% mark for class rank. I'm kind of worried that my grades are too low even for public interest law and for a public defender. Am I screwed? I have not seriously considered dropping out at this point, but the thought has definitely crossed my mind. Could any of you share your opinions on my situation? Thanks.

You are not screwed, especially if you want public defender. Do you want to stay in Wisconsin? If yes, you are not screwed. However, you are screwed for big law.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 pm

The PD's office in my state never even asks applicants for transcripts.

DayTripper1967

Postby DayTripper1967 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DayTripper1967 wrote:I go to law school at the University of Wisconsin, and I am a 1L. I have received 3 of my 5 grades for the first semester and I'm expecting to be around a 3.0 GPA, which is around the 50%-55% mark for class rank. I'm kind of worried that my grades are too low even for public interest law and for a public defender. Am I screwed? I have not seriously considered dropping out at this point, but the thought has definitely crossed my mind. Could any of you share your opinions on my situation? Thanks.

You are not screwed, especially if you want public defender. Do you want to stay in Wisconsin? If not, you are not screwed. However, you are screwed for big law.

I would prefer to stay in Wisconsin, but I am also interested in going to the west coast (California, Oregon, Washington) or Colorado.

I had no desire to do biglaw when I came to law school and that hasn't changed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 pm

I received DOJ offer at UW. Had a lower gpa then you. Ideally, you will want to be top 35%.

Return to “Legal Employment”