Background check form -Is this a "minor" traffic violation?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
llachans

Background check form -Is this a "minor" traffic violation?

Postby llachans » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 pm

The question is: Have you ever been charged with a crime (including misdemeanors but not including minor traffic violations) which resulted in a conviction? (For the purpose of this question, convictions also include guilty please and no contest please.

What does a "minor traffic violation" include? Should I include a traffic violation that resulted in a car accident? Just curious because I'm sure it will ask for dates and stuff, and it would take some time to figure that out.

Thanks guys!

imchuckbass58

Re: Background check form -Is this a "minor" traffic violation?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:01 pm

llachans wrote:The question is: Have you ever been charged with a crime (including misdemeanors but not including minor traffic violations) which resulted in a conviction? (For the purpose of this question, convictions also include guilty please and no contest please.

What does a "minor traffic violation" include? Should I include a traffic violation that resulted in a car accident? Just curious because I'm sure it will ask for dates and stuff, and it would take some time to figure that out.

Thanks guys!

I think you do not have to disclose that. If it's truly a minor traffic violation (i.e., speeding, running a red light) versus something like reckless driving or DUI, the result should not matter. If you did nothing wrong, but got in an accident, you wouldn't report that. Since the question asks to report based on what you were charged with, that's all that matters.

That said, if you want to err on the safe side, you can disclose and almost certainly suffer no adverse consequences whatsoever.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
I think you do not have to disclose that. If it's truly a minor traffic violation (i.e., speeding, running a red light) versus something like reckless driving or DUI, the result should not matter. If you did nothing wrong, but got in an accident, you wouldn't report that. Since the question asks to report based on what you were charged with, that's all that matters.

That said, if you want to err on the safe side, you can disclose and almost certainly suffer no adverse consequences whatsoever.

Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

To be contrary, I think I've seen "minor" defined as not involving another vehicle. But you're never going to get in trouble for telling them more than they need to know, so disclose is always the safe answer. (it won't cause a problem for employment.)

onionz

Postby onionz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:To be contrary, I think I've seen "minor" defined as not involving another vehicle. But you're never going to get in trouble for telling them more than they need to know, so disclose is always the safe answer. (it won't cause a problem for employment.)

I don't think the fact it involved another vehicle matters as much as what the accident is.

I'm sure this has been covered in other threads as well, so be sure to search the forums thoroughly, but I definitely think unles it was a driving to endanger or DUI or something, there is no need to disclose.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm

You probably don't have to list it unless it was a misdemeanor or worse. Traffic tickets in many jurisdictions are just civil infractions - fines not crimes.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

But you do have to disclose traffic fines for C&F in most jurisdictions I believe...

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

I would say minor = not a crime. Traffic infractions are not a crime. The whole question, from its wording, probably asks about crimes. If the accident involved another car and you were criminally at fault, there are plenty of crimes you might have been charged with. Reckless driving, DUI, etc. If you weren't charged, just because another car is involved doesn't make the accident any more like a crime. It just makes it an accident. Almost everyone gets into an accident. Literally, almost everyone.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

llachans wrote:The question is: Have you ever been charged with a crime (including misdemeanors but not including minor traffic violations) which resulted in a conviction? (For the purpose of this question, convictions also include guilty please and no contest please.

Thanks guys!

Were you charged with a misdemeanor?

Forget the word minor focus on the word violation

Felony>misdo>violation>violation involving vehicles

Return to “Legal Employment”