Judicial Apps Newbie... HELP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ash0117

Judicial Apps Newbie... HELP

Postby ash0117 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm

So, Career Services at my school is absolutely no help to me. TLS has much better advice. I just received my grades back, so now I am planning on submitting stuff to judges in my targeted areas for 1L judicial internships, since I've submitted most of the firms, gov, etc. already. My questions are about procedure when applying to judges. I apologize if this is a repeat thread.

Should I call the judges' chambers and ask their clerks if they are looking for interns? Or should I just send them my materials cold? I've heard conflicting info about this.

Should I use snail mail or e-mail? Is this judge specific, something I should as their clerk? Others have told me to just use snail mail but I wanted to confirm.

Anything else I should know before I start sending these out? Procedurally, any other special "rules" for judicial internships?

Thanks in advance. I know my questions are stupid, but like I said, CSO has been no help throughout this entire application process.

stillwater

Re: Judicial Apps Newbie... HELP

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 pm

if you are applying for federal judicial internships you are a bit behind the curve. get hustling!

i sent my materials cold on December 1st and let chance ferret out who took interns and didn't etc. Use the search feature, there's a lot on this topic out there.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 pm

stillwater wrote:if you are applying for federal judicial internships you are a bit behind the curve. get hustling!

Tell me about it! The one thing CSO told me was to wait until I had grades. I didn't question it at the time!!! I'm hustlin' - Thanks!!!!

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Another question: Did you call chambers for their mailing address? The websites for the courts I am applying to tell you where to send case related mail, but not this type of stuff.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

ash0117 wrote:Another question: Did you call chambers for their mailing address? The websites for the courts I am applying to tell you where to send case related mail, but not this type of stuff.

I used the Clerkship link on my school's symplicity page. Sorted by location, then exported to excel the judges I selected. It comes with all the mailing information. If your school uses symplicity youll see what im talking about.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 am

stillwater wrote:
ash0117 wrote:Another question: Did you call chambers for their mailing address? The websites for the courts I am applying to tell you where to send case related mail, but not this type of stuff.

I used the Clerkship link on my school's symplicity page. Sorted by location, then exported to excel the judges I selected. It comes with all the mailing information. If your school uses symplicity youll see what im talking about.

Thanks! I have that saved on my comp but totally spaced that it had the addresses on it. Duh! Thank you, again.

Return to “Legal Employment”