credit check? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

credit check?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Anyone know what it takes to have an issue with this?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Re: credit check?

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 am

For employment for for C & F? Becsue if the latter, I am interested too. I suspect that some firms set the bar somewhat higher than the bare minimun for bar admission.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: credit check?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am

I would actually be shocked if firms cared more than the bar examiners do. In any case, the major concern is that if you have significant debt, you're not to be trusted handling clients' money because you'll be too tempted to dip into it. Another red flag is if you're in collections and you're not doing anything about it. So if you're dodging your creditors, that's a bad sign. If you've taken responsibility and, say, are on a payment plan, and you make your payments on time, then you're good,

The cases I've seen where debt has prevented someone from becoming barred have been things like people who have $450K+ of student loan debt over 20 years and haven't made a single payment on it.

As for a low credit score, well, I suppose it would depend on why the score was low. Current collections against you, or past problems? Again, the big thing is to take responsibility for any problems and try to resolve them. I mean, you can pass C&F with a felony on your record if you've done your time, so you can have a lot of bad stuff in your past and still pass if you can show you've moved past that.

(That said, some states are tougher than others. Florida, for instance, is supposed to have a horrible C&F process and care a ton about money.)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”