DC BigLaw Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi,

I got an interview for the SEO program, and was told I was being considered for placement at a DC firm. I know this is still different from an SA position, but for anyone who's worked at or knows something about these firms and their corporate practices, would you be willing to share your experience or some information on what these firms excel in versus one another?

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft
Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton
Covington & Burling
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
Jones Day
Latham & Watkins
Morrison & Foerster
O'Melveny & [deleted]
Shearman & Sterling
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
WilmerHale

I know many of these firms have headquarters in NYC or other areas.

It'd be great to hear about the focus of their respective DC offices, versus general firm information, which is what most of the available info seems to focus on. Anything you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

WearyCartographer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby WearyCartographer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm

Are you just interested in corporate? DC isn't exactly known for it's corporate work (that's not to say there isn't still good corporate shops in DC, just far fewer than other major legal markets relative to other practice groups). This is probably the best overview:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/70674

Edit - Glossed over the SEO piece of your post. The link stands as the best overview. Chambers is written largely for an audience of in-house counsels looking for firm representation but provides a good insight into whose who
Last edited by WearyCartographer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

WearyCartographer wrote:Are you just interested in corporate? DC isn't exactly known for it's corporate work (that's not to say there isn't still good corporate shops in DC, just far fewer than other major legal markets relative to other practice groups). This is probably the best overview:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/70674


Got it, thank you. I'm very much open, truly, but the SEO program itself seems to try to place students into corporate specifically. It's not so much a personal preference. There's some references to it on their website as "SEO Corporate Law"...

Edit: Great link, by the way. Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WearyCartographer wrote:Are you just interested in corporate? DC isn't exactly known for it's corporate work (that's not to say there isn't still good corporate shops in DC, just far fewer than other major legal markets relative to other practice groups). This is probably the best overview:

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/70674


Got it, thank you. I'm very much open, truly, but the SEO program itself seems to try to place students into corporate specifically. It's not so much a personal preference. There's some references to it on their website as "SEO Corporate Law"...

Edit: Great link, by the way. Thank you.


When they say SEO "Corporate Law" they mean "biglaw" not "transactional" (what the above poster referred to as "corporate" law). SEO is perfectly fine with you doing litigation.

WearyCartographer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby WearyCartographer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Yeah I just took a look at the SEO website. Any biglaw path seems to fall into the description. If you click around Chambers site you can find links to other types of biglaw (litigation, antitrust, healthcare, etc) and keep a DC filter on to focus the rankings. Best of luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks a lot, both of you. I'm really hoping I land this, and you've been a huge help.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Hey, I worked as an SA at Jones Day in DC one of the last three summers and we had one SEO in our class. I was surprised they gave him the same kinds of projects that the rest of us had even though he hadn't started law school yet--he got quite the crash course in WestLaw. Anyway, he was a great guy and seemed to have a really good time.

Jones Day DC has a big Business and Tort Litigation (basically general commercial litigation shop) along with a wide variety of other groups ranging from Labor and Employment and Anti Trust to Regulatory work and Issues & Appeals. The people were really great and I look forward to going back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm

xx
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearyCartographer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby WearyCartographer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 pm


Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

WearyCartographer wrote:Pronunciation Guide: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/j ... ations.cfm


asks for a login?

WearyCartographer
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:41 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby WearyCartographer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WearyCartographer wrote:Pronunciation Guide: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/j ... ations.cfm


asks for a login?


Yeah that's new. I was able to cancel out of it/just type something BS in and it rejected me but then redirected me to the webpage anyway . . .

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, I worked as an SA at Jones Day in DC one of the last three summers and we had one SEO in our class. I was surprised they gave him the same kinds of projects that the rest of us had even though he hadn't started law school yet--he got quite the crash course in WestLaw. Anyway, he was a great guy and seemed to have a really good time.

Jones Day DC has a big Business and Tort Litigation (basically general commercial litigation shop) along with a wide variety of other groups ranging from Labor and Employment and Anti Trust to Regulatory work and Issues & Appeals. The people were really great and I look forward to going back.


Brilliant. Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of it, since I won't have taken a single course yet by the time I enter, but at the same time I'd be foolish to turn down the chance.

Glad he survived and thanks for the good info, man.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Also try http://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciations

*edit: Agent here. Anon accident.

WearyCartographer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
WearyCartographer wrote:Pronunciation Guide: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/j ... ations.cfm


asks for a login?


Yeah that's new. I was able to cancel out of it/just type something BS in and it rejected me but then redirected me to the webpage anyway . . .
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DC BigLaw Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also try http://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciations

WearyCartographer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
WearyCartographer wrote:Pronunciation Guide: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/j ... ations.cfm


asks for a login?


Yeah that's new. I was able to cancel out of it/just type something BS in and it rejected me but then redirected me to the webpage anyway . . .

awesome thanks




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.