Peace Corps after law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Peace Corps after law school

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:02 pm

2L at T30, top 25% but struck out... thinking about joining the peace corps after I graduate. What would my job prospects be after a 2 year stint in the peace corps?

stillwater

Re: Peace Corps after law school

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:07 pm

probably pretty shitty bro

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Sorry, but I must agree with the previous comment. PM me if you care to chat about that networking game.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at T30, top 25% but struck out... thinking about joining the peace corps after I graduate. What would my job prospects be after a 2 year stint in the peace corps?

I'm curious about what you struck out with? You mean you struck out with getting a BigLaw job where they will work you to death and where you'll make $15 an hour take-home and be absolutely miserable being some partner's bitch but lie to yourself the whole time about how wonderful it is?

Count yourself lucky. Now quit bitchin' and get to networking. Not hitting a homerun during OCI is the best fucking gift you'll ever get.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

^^^^

--ImageRemoved--

Also, as others have said, taking a non-legal job for 2 years right after law school is going to cause serious skepticism among any potential legal employer.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 am

I've heard of someone who did this. The best part is that it counts as public service for PSLF. You won't get a job in law afterward, but maybe it'll clear your head and expose you to other opportunities.

linquest

Postby linquest » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 am

If you ever want to practice law, you really need to get an actual JD/bar-required job as your first job out of law school. It is *extremely* difficult to get an attorney position if you go into non-legal employment first. I don't know anyone who failed to get an attorney position within 2 years of graduating from law school that was able to get a JD-required job after that except for doc review. For example, I work in DC and know a number of federal employees with JDs that, despite working for their agencies as administrators/investigators etc for years, are unable to lateral into trial attorney and attorney-adviser positions, even getting passed over in favor of recent grads.

Unless you're totally okay with never practicing law, either drop out of law school now or stick it out for the lawyer job search through 3L and as long after getting admitted to the bar as you can financially afford to. You can always do Peace Corps later in life.

Return to “Legal Employment”