Getting a US JD degree and coming back to Asia to work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mranderson

New

Getting a US JD degree and coming back to Asia to work

Post by mranderson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Hey, I'm from Singapore and am currently considering my options for undergraduate studies. I've applied to a few of the better UK schools (Oxford, Manchester, Warwick) and a few US schools (Harvard, Brown, Stanford, Michigan). I don't expect to really get into Harvard or Stanford but I think I have a reasonable chance for the rest. I already have offers from some of my UK choices, Oxford will let me know in two days; however, I chose mainly humanities-related courses there. Sanskrit at Oxford and Philosophy, Politics and Economics at most of the rest. The fees in the UK are quite a bit cheaper than in the US but it might be difficult finding a job, especially in Asia, with degrees in those fields. I don't necessarily want to work in Singapore, but the work visa situation in the UK/Europe might not allow me to work there after I graduate. I had been considering academia but after doing a bit of research, it seems the prospects there are rather dismal, especially for the humanities.

I have done an internship at a local law firm before and thought it wasn't going to be for me what with working until the last train home every day. However, I recently heard about a friend of a friend who graduated from the University of Washington's law school and is working in international corporate law here, earning a larger salary than local lawyers while working reasonable hours (going home around 6 most days). This guy is Indonesian, from what i heard the main requirements are to speak an Asian language and to have a US law degree since the job involves working on deals between Asian and US companies.

I haven't been able to find out much online about this line of work, but I've gathered at least that this guy's salary is typical. Would anyone here happen to have more info?

Anonymous User

Re: Getting a US JD degree and coming back to Asia to work

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am

RJC or HCJC?

if u go with british schs and u come out wanting to work for international law firms, only oxbridge are worth it. latham hk takes almost purely oxbridge graduates. even then, you'll only be a trainee and not associate track (so no 160k)

doing a JDdegree requires a bachelors so 4 yrs + 3 yrs JD after which u can immediately start to get the "larger than local salaries"

life's too short, enjoy college and worry bout law sch later.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”