Which practice area (Lit)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which practice area (Lit)?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm

I've accepted a SA gig for this summer. I plan to take a variety of assignments (lit, M&A, and bankruptcy), but I'm leaning towards litigation pretty heavily.

Any recommendations/advice about which litigation practice groups I should explore? If you're currently a litigation attorney at a big firm and were given the opportunity to restart your career, where would you restart (IP, antitrust, general lit, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

ph14

Re: Which practice area (Lit)?

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've accepted a SA gig for this summer. I plan to take a variety of assignments (lit, M&A, and bankruptcy), but I'm leaning towards litigation pretty heavily.

Any recommendations/advice about which litigation practice groups I should explore? If you're currently a litigation attorney at a big firm and were given the opportunity to restart your career, where would you restart (IP, antitrust, general lit, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Not a biglaw attorney, but I would explore everything while a SA if you can. You might find you like some kind of work and dislike others.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Practice area subdivision in litigation ranges from "rare" to "nonexistant" at large law firms, particularly for juniors. If you pull a mega-firm out of a hat, odds are it will subdivide its corporate group (whether or not junior lawyers choose or move between those subdivisions is another matter) but have one big pool of litigators.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for your responses.

Guess the next question is: do either of you prefer certain litigation sub-groups over other sub-groups? If so, why?

Also, do you think there will be an increased demand for a specific type of litigation work over the next five years? If so, which?

As always, really appreciate the help.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was trying not to overstate things because there can be exceptions and I'm not familiar with your case. Let's try this again:

There aren't sub-groups in litigation. You do not need to be concerned about this.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Work with partners who will give you the most substantive litigation experience: taking/defending depositions, drafting discovery requests, managing a case's calendar, learning and applying local court rules (on top of the FRCP and FRE), and arguing on your feat in front of government decision makers. Until you get more experience, substantive litigation experience is more important than your case's practice area.

Return to “Legal Employment”