Unusual jobs after graduation??? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigmnstyle

Bronze

Unusual jobs after graduation???

Post by bigmnstyle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi all -

I am a 3L at a t20. No luck so far with jobs and I am really debating going to a coast upon graduation to live close to the beach, and then doing some free legal work somewhere (so my resume says I have a legal job) and get a bartending job a couple nights a week for the 6 months after graduation (while sending out some resumes). Anyone ever do this, know of anyone who has done this, or just thinks it is plain stupid? I am not too worried about the money situation because I won't owe anything in loans my first year (and I kind of want to do public interest or govt related work anyway)... For the 6 months after graduation, I really just want enough money to cover my rent and live in the city I am wanting to live (high cost of living). I figured doing some legal work 20 hours a week or something like that for free would buy me some time to search for jobs and have a little fun after graduating. Just looking for stories, thoughts, etc.

Cheers
Last edited by bigmnstyle on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Unusual jobs after graduation???

Post by cinephile » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 pm

bigmnstyle wrote: Anyone ever do this, know of anyone that has done this, or just thinks it is plain stupid?
Yeah, I know someone has done something like this. It only took her 6 months to find a legal job. But she did volunteer 40 hours a week.

I don't think it's stupid, as there is some chance of getting a legal job. But if it were me, I'd be applying for non-legal jobs the whole time too.

bigmnstyle

Bronze

Post by bigmnstyle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am

Definitely. The bartending search has been pretty hard while in law school as well. I had a bartending job in college but only 6 months of experience. Might expand to restaurants, etc. Does anyone know of any legal organizations (public interest, etc) that might be a good bet to look into for volunteer work? Particularly southern cal.

omg clay aiken !

New

Post by omg clay aiken ! » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 am

you could check out the innocence project's chapter in sunny san diego (based out of cal western law school)

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 am

bigmnstyle wrote:Hi all -

I am a 3L at a t20. No luck so far with jobs and I am really debating going to a coast upon graduation to live close to the beach, and then doing some free legal work somewhere (so my resume says I have a legal job) and get a bartending job a couple nights a week for the 6 months after graduation (while sending out some resumes). Anyone ever do this, know of anyone who has done this, or just thinks it is plain stupid? I am not too worried about the money situation because I won't owe anything in loans my first year (and I kind of want to do public interest or govt related work anyway)... For the 6 months after graduation, I really just want enough money to cover my rent and live in the city I am wanting to live (high cost of living). I figured doing some legal work 20 hours a week or something like that for free would buy me some time to search for jobs and have a little fun after graduating. Just looking for stories, thoughts, etc.

Cheers
I know plenty of people doing this, but granted they are from CA to begin with. It's completely normal. You can always make up that a relationship brought you out there if you are worried about people looking down on you, but I really don't think they will. Just be warned the CA legal market is horrendous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 am

hiima3L wrote: Just be warned the CA legal market is horrendous.
I really only know about SoCal PD's offices (since that's what I'm primarily interested in), and some websites explicitly state that it is extremely difficult to come VOLUNTEER (as in work for them for fucking FREE!) without prior law school internships with them and excellent academic credentials. So, yeah, horrendous seems like the correct word for it.

Anyways, best of luck OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 am

Doable. But as others have posted in here have noted, you won't be the only one with this idea. It's not as easy as you would think to volunteer at reputable places. Especially when that reputable place is in a highly desirous location.

Some of my friends have tried this and ended up with gaps on their resumes that only made it harder to continue the search.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”