USAJOBS.gov = Flame?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAJOBS.gov = Flame?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Has anyone ever gotten a BIGFED position (without prior connections to anyone in BIGFED) by using USAJOBS.gov? I'm a biglaw associate wondering how useful it would be for me to monitor these job postings and apply to some of them. Is it more or less fruitless than OSCAR? I'm a lit associate with honors (not top 10%) from a T10 with V25 biglaw.

Anonymous User

Re: USAJOBS.gov = Flame?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Yeah, this is basically entirely flame, except for the jobs posted that have you apply via email and not through the USAjobs website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17 pm

The truth is that the majority of jobs posted on USAjobs have already been filled, and are only posted as a legal requirement. There are some success stories, but by-in-large, those jobs are already filled. As an outsider, you have a complete crapshoot chance of getting something, as most of these jobs are either filled internally or from someone laterallying over from another agency/department. It's a decent resource if you've already got your foot in the door, but for the general job seeking citizen, it's pointless.

From a more general standpoint and not necessarily just attorney jobs, if you're a white male without military experience, don't even bother applying to the jobs listed other than maybe forrest rangers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

I know of two people who got jobs. One with FERC and the other with EPA. The EPA guy had been a litigator in environmental law for a big law firm for over 5 years. I'm not sure what the FERC person was doing, but she was out of school only for one year before she got her job. Take it for what it's worth. I met both these people during a summer of work.

The thing about USAjobs is that you have to be very detailed and you have to put a lot of stuff down that you usually wouldn't in a regular resume. It's tedious and you'll have to answer other addendums to the application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 pm

OP here,

Okay, well how weird/creepy would it be for me to send cold-call LinkedIn messages to attorneys at the Fed agency I'm interested in asking them if their agency is hiring? What about if I invited them to get coffee?

linquest

Postby linquest » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Cold-call LinkedIn messaging for informational interviews over coffee...fine. For asking about openings when you have no prior contact/connection with them...just rude.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:The truth is that the majority of jobs posted on USAjobs have already been filled, and are only posted as a legal requirement. There are some success stories, but by-in-large, those jobs are already filled. As an outsider, you have a complete crapshoot chance of getting something, as most of these jobs are either filled internally or from someone laterallying over from another agency/department. It's a decent resource if you've already got your foot in the door, but for the general job seeking citizen, it's pointless.

From a more general standpoint and not necessarily just attorney jobs, if you're a white male without military experience, don't even bother applying to the jobs listed other than maybe forrest rangers.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

I never thought it was a flame. That is how I got my first federal job, and my second. We are always receiving emails about posting on it. I was not that high up in my class (just journal, clinic, top third, craptastic school) and I landed it, so I don't think it is impossible.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 am

I heard the site has killer able seaman jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I never thought it was a flame. That is how I got my first federal job, and my second. We are always receiving emails about posting on it. I was not that high up in my class (just journal, clinic, top third, craptastic school) and I landed it, so I don't think it is impossible.

OP here,

Are you a white guy? I feel like this will hurt my chances.

Also, thanks for the link, ajax. That was a very good read. I only wish I knew more people with BIGFED jobs!

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

stillwater wrote:I heard the site has killer able seaman jobs.

I looked into that but there's a messa certs I'd need to get.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I used to love USAJOBS, it kept many of my friends fed for like a decade. Then I found out that attorney jobs are exempted from most federal hiring guidelines, making USAJOBS nothing more then monster.com for the government.

Does anyone know why this is true? Is it just because attorney's wrote the rules and there massive egos prevented them from being treated like lowly analysts and doctors?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
stillwater wrote:I heard the site has killer able seaman jobs.

I looked into that but there's a messa certs I'd need to get.

my friends in merchant marine gigs make some nice coin and get pretty nice chunks of time off if they please

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I never thought it was a flame. That is how I got my first federal job, and my second. We are always receiving emails about posting on it. I was not that high up in my class (just journal, clinic, top third, craptastic school) and I landed it, so I don't think it is impossible.

OP here,

Are you a white guy? I feel like this will hurt my chances.

Also, thanks for the link, ajax. That was a very good read. I only wish I knew more people with BIGFED jobs!

Good point, I am a minority female but the other people I work with are two white girls and a minority man, maybe it does make that big of a difference idk

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 am

SemperLegal wrote:I used to love USAJOBS, it kept many of my friends fed for like a decade. Then I found out that attorney jobs are exempted from most federal hiring guidelines, making USAJOBS nothing more then monster.com for the government.

Can you explain? I'm not sure I understand.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

cinephile wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I used to love USAJOBS, it kept many of my friends fed for like a decade. Then I found out that attorney jobs are exempted from most federal hiring guidelines, making USAJOBS nothing more then monster.com for the government.

Most federal jobs have very strict Civil Service rules, so that the hiring has barely any discretion. You get points for former civil service, veteran status, degrees, etc. The person with the highest score gets the job. Its a quick, predictable process where you fill out your info and submit to 20 jobs that you qualify for. Normally you know exactly what you stand a chance for, regardless of connections

Its my understanding however that attorney jobs are exempt from (some) civil service hiring requirements, so it serves as more of a resume drop. Like many other resume drops, they are a crap shoot and 80% of the job postings are just cover for "networking" hires.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Most federal jobs have very strict Civil Service rules, so that the hiring has barely any discretion. You get points for former civil service, veteran status, degrees, etc. The person with the highest score gets the job. Its a quick, predictable process where you fill out your info and submit to 20 jobs that you qualify for. Normally you know exactly what you stand a chance for, regardless of connections

Its my understanding however that attorney jobs are exempt from (some) civil service hiring requirements, so it serves as more of a resume drop. Like many other resume drops, they are a crap shoot and 80% of the job postings are just cover for "networking" hires.

:( That's depressing. Not sure why lawyer jobs would be exempt and other wouldn't be.

Return to “Legal Employment”