Summer Associate International Stint

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate International Stint

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 am

Hi All,

I'll be at a V20 firm next summer, and was wondering if anyone had any experience working in one of their firm's international offices for a few weeks when they were a SA. Obviously the experience might differ from firm to firm, but some general questions I had were:

1. What is the best way to approach requesting an international stint? (i.e. prior experience in the county, language skills, etc.)
2. What type of assignments did you work on while abroad? Were they generally comparable to assignments you got in the US?
3. How long was the stint?
4. Were there other SA's on the stint as well?
5. Does the firm help you find housing, etc. in the new city and/or help pay for housing during your stint?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate International Stint

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

I'll be at a V20 firm next summer, and was wondering if anyone had any experience working in one of their firm's international offices for a few weeks when they were a SA. Obviously the experience might differ from firm to firm, but some general questions I had were:

1. What is the best way to approach requesting an international stint? (i.e. prior experience in the county, language skills, etc.)
2. What type of assignments did you work on while abroad? Were they generally comparable to assignments you got in the US?
5. Does the firm help you find housing, etc. in the new city and/or help pay for housing during your stint?

Thanks!

I'm going to a firm with a formal overseas rotation program. Here are the details for our program as I know them (I'm a 2L)

1) Don't know since it's a formal program offered to everyone.
2) I've heard that it was harder to get quality assignments because over seas rotations are fairly short. I think there is a substantial amount of variability though.
3) 4 weeks
4) Yes, I think most offices take more than one.
5) Accommodations are paid for, not sure about the details though

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate International Stint

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm

• my firm had a form you filled out. It came with the packet of information RE the SA, etc.
• language skills were probably how they picked who would get the stints, also if you had prior experience with the country.

• more substantial stuff than what I worked on in the home office. Like being responsible for drafting documents for a deal under supervision of a first year and a fourth year.
• corporate work.

• four weeks.

• depends on the posting. Some places they sent one person, some places they sent 2-4 SAs.

• yes. it was all arranged when we got there. the firm paid for plane fare, housing, and a few incidentals plus the usual stuff, i.e. lunches, cab fare when it was late, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”