Patent Lit Exit Options Without Hard Science Degree

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 314107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Patent Lit Exit Options Without Hard Science Degree

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:04 pm

What happens to people who get hired into in biglaw patent litigation groups without tech degrees (or PTO eligibility), and don't make partner? I'm guessing the in-house path will be limited because companies that have a need for patent counsel will want someone with PTO eligibility, and maybe an undergrad degree in EE/CS. What other options are out there? Move to a smaller firm to continue doing patent lit? Government? If anyone has done this, or knows people who have, I would appreciate the insight.


Posts: 52
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 am

Re: Patent Lit Exit Options Without Hard Science Degree

Postby markman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

you can get an in-house litigation counsel job. those don't require tech backgrounds, especially if you come from a well-regarded patent litigation group.

let's just say you won't be managing Qualcomm's patent portfolio without an EE/CS background.

Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.