Legal Internships for 0L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Legal Internships for 0L?

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm

I am thinking about moving in with my MIL this summer to save money while my husband is gone for work. I figure if I look for general employment I won't land anything since I'll be leaving for LS in 2-3 months. Any advice for how I could go about trying to find a legal internship? I've been looking online and I haven't found any sites or postings. Should I just contact firms? TYIA! (reposted)

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Re: Legal Internships for 0L?

Post by Wakelaw15 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm

It's really, really tough to find anything paid. It is possible to find something unpaid. I'm a 1L and my sense is that it doesn't really make any different what you do the summer before, unless somehow you can land an internship that provide useful experience or a professional connection for the future.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:I am thinking about moving in with my MIL this summer to save money while my husband is gone for work. I figure if I look for general employment I won't land anything since I'll be leaving for LS in 2-3 months. Any advice for how I could go about trying to find a legal internship? I've been looking online and I haven't found any sites or postings. Should I just contact firms? TYIA! (reposted)
If you need non-legal related money, a good job for people in law school is babysitting. A friend of mine does that while she's in class and she loves it. She also has her normal legal gig, but since there are a limited pool of paying gigs that first Summer, it's worth a shot for extra money.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't need the money (the extra money my husband will be making through the Army while he is gone will be enough) but if I can't find anything that will help me make connections/ get experience I might as well try to make some! I figured even an unpaid legal internship would help me in my summer 1L job search, no? I don't know how to even find a list of firms that would consider an intern and I feel weird emailing cold (although I got my first paralegal job that way).

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:26 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:I don't need the money (the extra money my husband will be making through the Army while he is gone will be enough) but if I can't find anything that will help me make connections/ get experience I might as well try to make some! I figured even an unpaid legal internship would help me in my summer 1L job search, no? I don't know how to even find a list of firms that would consider an intern and I feel weird emailing cold (although I got my first paralegal job that way).
Basically you need to mass mail every firm in your area and state your interest as a student who is starting LS next year. Do not state you want to practice in a particular practice area, and tbh do not even demand they have you doing legal work. As a 0L you need to be willing to do secretarial work at a firm, because they have their pick of 1L, 2L, 3L, and recent grads who are desperate for unpaid jobs for similar experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Gorki wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:I don't need the money (the extra money my husband will be making through the Army while he is gone will be enough) but if I can't find anything that will help me make connections/ get experience I might as well try to make some! I figured even an unpaid legal internship would help me in my summer 1L job search, no? I don't know how to even find a list of firms that would consider an intern and I feel weird emailing cold (although I got my first paralegal job that way).
Basically you need to mass mail every firm in your area and state your interest as a student who is starting LS next year. Do not state you want to practice in a particular practice area, and tbh do not even demand they have you doing legal work. As a 0L you need to be willing to do secretarial work at a firm, because they have their pick of 1L, 2L, 3L, and recent grads who are desperate for unpaid jobs for similar experience.
Thanks! Is there some sort of tutorial around here on TLS that gives instructions on how to mass mail firms?

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 pm

If you live in a reasonably metropolitan area, I would also contact temp agencies as they have relationships with firms and would know about openings. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”