Laterals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Laterals

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 am

I realize this is probably not a concern yet for most people on this board but worth a shot.

I was wondering if there are attorneys here who have lateraled to other firms or have information about the process of lateraling? Specifically, I had a few questions about when a good time to look for moving to another firm is and how the application and interview process works. I work at a well known boutique firm and have been getting a lot of calls from recruiters regarding biglaw firms (at least 2 V25 firms so far). I am not looking to move right now (been only working here for 7 months) but I want to be more informed about the process. From what I have been told, it looks bad if I move without staying for at least a year but I also dont want to miss an opportunity to jump to a megafirm either (especially one in my home market that excels in specialized field)

Thanks in advance.

Gold

Re: Laterals

Post by 84651846190 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

If you are getting recruiting calls after 7 months, you'll probably be getting them after 3 years. Some lawyers might look unfavorably on your leaving after just 7 months. I would stick it out for at least two years unless you absolutely can't stand your coworkers or you have a really good reason other than "I WANTED MOAR PREFSTIGE!!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:09 pm

What about a practice area shift? Right now I do a mixture of public M&A and private equity a top law firm, but want to do more emerging company M&A, which my firm doesn't do at all. I'm learning a lot and like my firm, and I think I'd be able to hit the ground running if I lateraled, say, 4-5 years from now. But, I'm concerned that I'll be pigeon-holed into what I do by then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about a practice area shift? Right now I do a mixture of public M&A and private equity a top law firm, but want to do more emerging company M&A, which my firm doesn't do at all. I'm learning a lot and like my firm, and I think I'd be able to hit the ground running if I lateraled, say, 4-5 years from now. But, I'm concerned that I'll be pigeon-holed into what I do by then.
This is more along the reasons I am looking at switching as well. More so than prestige anyways. I am currently mostly working on IP Prosecution/App Drafting/Opinion and Licensing work. I would like to eventually move over to litigation, but the opportunities to do so at my current firm are limited.

Like I said in the OP, I don't anticipate leaving until at least finishing a year at this firm, but I would like to avoid being pigeon-holed in a given practice area. Just looking for more information about the process at this point so I can make a more informed decision when it is time to move.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”