Do 2L summer jobs ask for transcripts again?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do 2L summer jobs ask for transcripts again?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am

Grades took a hit 2L year so far. Wasn't slacking off or anything, tried my best and things just didn't work out as they usually do. Dropped about .1, but I had a really high gpa. Advice?

EDIT: not at GDC.

rad lulz

Re: Do 2L summer jobs ask for transcripts again?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Advice?

Raise your GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 am

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Advice?

Raise your GPA.

I'm obviously going to try my hardest to next semester. But I cannot get .1 back next semester even if I get a 4.0. I was wondering if firms generally care about this sort of thing. Just to be clear, it was an unintentional grade drop. I studied as much as I could through the craziness of fall semester.

Tom Baker

Postby Tom Baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 am

Advice: it's going to be fine. First, .1 points is not much, particularly if your GPA was high to begin with. Firms have to expect variation in grades from 1L to 2L. Second, your performance during the summer will matter far more than a minor GPA swing. Third, you have this semester to go back up if you're really still worried.

To answer your question: someone might look at your transcript at some point before extending a permanent offer. My SA firm claims to, although associates insist they don't care.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Grades took a hit 2L year so far. Wasn't slacking off or anything, tried my best and things just didn't work out as they usually do. Dropped about .1, but I had a really high gpa. Advice?

Exact same thing happened to me. The firm will want your updated transcript by the end of the summer. They will not give a shit if you only drop .1.

Oh, and you ought to do better in the Spring.

e: Your bigger problem is clerkship opportunities, if you were going to pursue that. A .1 drop can really kick you down the rankings when you're near the top.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:26 am

I am at one of the biggest firms in a fourth-tier market, so take it FWIW, but nobody here asked to see my grades before I got a permanent offer. That means they say 1 semester's worth of grades and ignored the next three before offering me a job 3L fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am

Green Crayons wrote:

e: Your bigger problem is clerkship opportunities, if you were going to pursue that. A .1 drop can really kick you down the rankings when you're near the top.

I understand that. They appear to be out the window now, but what is, is. I tried my best and things didn't work out. I can live with not doing a clerkship. More important, is the biglaw job -- my future.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I understand that. They appear to be out the window now, but what is, is. I tried my best and things didn't work out. I can live with not doing a clerkship. More important, is the biglaw job -- my future.
Amazingly, this is not necessarily true depending upon your post-Fall 2L GPA/rank, your school ranking, and your LORs. COAs are probably out of the picture, but DCs and SSCs are still ripe to pursue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am

Green Crayons wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I understand that. They appear to be out the window now, but what is, is. I tried my best and things didn't work out. I can live with not doing a clerkship. More important, is the biglaw job -- my future.
Amazingly, this is not necessarily true depending upon your post-Fall 2L GPA/rank, your school ranking, and your LORs. COAs are probably out of the picture, but DCs and SSCs are still ripe to pursue.

Firms don't give clerkship bonuses for SSCs, correct? Is there some kind of negative stigma attached to them?

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 am

SSC clerks are generally given bonuses (though check with the individual firm to determine); either on par or just below DC bonuses. If a firm is at the upper echelons of the V100, they might not hand out bonuses to a SSC clerk -- but then again, if you're getting accepted by those firms, you can probably get a COA/DC clerkship anyways.

No negative stigma that I am aware of, but SSC clerkships are not as prestigious as federal clerkships because <REASONS>. But that is what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Green Crayons wrote:SSC clerks are generally given bonuses (though check with the individual firm to determine); either on par or just below DC bonuses. If a firm is at the upper echelons of the V100, they might not hand out bonuses to a SSC clerk -- but then again, if you're getting accepted by those firms, you can probably get a COA/DC clerkship anyways.

No negative stigma that I am aware of, but SSC clerkships are not as prestigious as federal clerkships because <REASONS>. But that is what it is.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Grades took a hit 2L year so far. Wasn't slacking off or anything, tried my best and things just didn't work out as they usually do. Dropped about .1, but I had a really high gpa. Advice?

I go to a T20 school and worked 1L summer in a V50 in NYC/DC. I got the job with a 3.9 after 1L fall. But then my grades took a hit 1L Spring (dropped to just below 3.7 cumulative). They asked for my transcript over the summer and I still got a 2L offer at the end of the summer.

Aside from all the good advice you've gotten so far, I think one important factor is whether your new (lower) GPA falls below the firm's cutoff for your school. I'm not saying that if it does you're screwed; but if your lower GPA is still above the cutoff, I can't imagine there would be a problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 pm

As someone who IS going to GDC, does anyone actually know how grade sensitive they are once you have an offer for 2L summer? I know they are highly selective during OCI but former summers keep telling me that they won't care unless it's some significant drop, like >.2 or .3. Since the firm cares so much about fit, you just need to have a good summer in order to get a permanent offer.

I only worry because this site is so hyped on GDC being crazy about grades, but anecdotal evidence from former summers tells me otherwise. I am close to their cutoff (and dropped a few hundredths this semester so now I am even closer) and this just stresses me out.

Return to “Legal Employment”