help! margins?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swtlilsoni

help! margins?

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm

What should the margins be for a cover letter for a judicial internship?? My resume has .75 margins on all sides. Should the margins of the CL match that of the resume? Should the writing sample margins match them too? Or should I change my resume margins? What should I Do?

thesealocust

Re: help! margins?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

It doesn't matter. Don't make it look stupid?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 am

It should be fine.

Tom Baker

Postby Tom Baker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:44 am

It really shouldn't matter. But ...

I was really paranoid about this kind of thing when I was putting together mass-mailing for firms this summer. I think the solution I ultimately came to was to adjust the resume so that the resume had one-inch margins on the sides and half-inch margins on the top and bottom. Then, I had enough room on the resume for everything I wanted to put in it. Then, I used one-inch margins all around for my transcript/cover letters/writing sample (I guess the writing sample was like that to begin with). I thought it looked better that way. If that makes you feel better, do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 am

I'm a clerk, i.e. the person who reads your materials. None of these details matter. If your cover letter is brief, well written and you don't sound like a complete weirdo, I'll take a look at your résumé.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a clerk, i.e. the person who reads your materials. None of these details matter. If your cover letter is brief, well written and you don't sound like a complete weirdo, I'll take a look at your résumé.

Here's the thing, though, if you're playing with your margins to make sure your cover letter fits on one page, then your cover letter is too long and you need to edit it.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm

thesealocust wrote:It doesn't matter. Don't make it look stupid?

3" margins it is!

Return to “Legal Employment”