Judicial Internship Interview Ettiquite

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beardown67

Judicial Internship Interview Ettiquite

Postby beardown67 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi all, 1L about to have a judicial internship interview with a Fed D. Ct judge and his clerks. Wondering if I should address the judge as "Judge X" or "Your Honor" during the interview. I think the latter is just in court, but I'm not sure...

Any other ettiquite tips to know before going into the interview?

Thanks!

exitoptions

Re: Judicial Internship Interview Ettiquite

Postby exitoptions » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm

beardown67 wrote:Hi all, 1L about to have a judicial internship interview with a Fed D. Ct judge and his clerks. Wondering if I should address the judge as "Judge X" or "Your Honor" during the interview. I think the latter is just in court, but I'm not sure...

Thanks!

I've only done two judicial interview (one for an internship and one for a clerkship), but I always called the Judge, Judge X. "Your Honor" is an awkward phrase and is usually only used in court by a lawyer or witness. In chambers all the clerks will generally just refer to her as just plain "Judge."

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

We would occasionally refer to the judge as "your honor" in chambers this past summer.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm

beardown67 wrote:Hi all, 1L about to have a judicial internship interview with a Fed D. Ct judge and his clerks. Wondering if I should address the judge as "Judge X" or "Your Honor" during the interview. I think the latter is just in court, but I'm not sure...

Thanks!

Oh one other tip is to make sure you remember each clerk's names. There will be two or three. I forgot the one and I had to make a bunch of calls to people to figure out who the last clerk was for the thank you.

Other than that: be polite, make eye contact, give a firm shake, and be a real person. They won't expect much from you as an intern, just make sure you're not so awkward that they can't imagine spending a summer asking you to get coffee for the judge.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Refer as "Judge X." Be enthusiastic, informed, and curious.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Judge or Judge X. Don't do more than that.

And just be normal.

Return to “Legal Employment”