Clerking/Federal Jurisdiction

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking/Federal Jurisdiction

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 am

If one wants to clerk, how important is it for one to take a Federal Jurisdiction course (a.k.a. Federal Courts) during 2L rather than during the fall of 3L?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerking/Federal Jurisdiction

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 am

My judge didn't care that I was planning on taking it spring 3L.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:If one wants to clerk, how important is it for one to take a Federal Jurisdiction course (a.k.a. Federal Courts) during 2L rather than during the fall of 3L?

Almost completely unimportant. There might be judges who want to see your grade in it before hiring, but they're so small a number that it's not worth the risk of getting a poor grade in the class.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If one wants to clerk, how important is it for one to take a Federal Jurisdiction course (a.k.a. Federal Courts) during 2L rather than during the fall of 3L?

Almost completely unimportant. There might be judges who want to see your grade in it before hiring, but they're so small a number that it's not worth the risk of getting a poor grade in the class.

I agree completely. I have actually never heard of a judge who requires a Fed Courts grade pre-hiring; most judges just seem to want you to take it before graduating. And believe the hype -- it is a rather difficult class (depending in part, of course, on who teaches it).

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am

I would not take fed courts as a 2L. A poor grade would really hurt more than a good one would help, and the class is likely to be stacked with clerkship gunners. I think most people, including myself, who get clerkships take it 3L fall.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am

Nearly everyone at my school took it as a 3L, most already had clerkships lined-up. It's a tough class and you really should take a couple Con Law classes first anyway.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

I never took it. I don't recommend that as a strategy, but just so you know that you can get a federal clerkship without it.

(That said - yeah, take it as a 3L, it's a tough class. So I heard from all my gunner friends who took it. :P )

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone!
-OP

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I never took it. I don't recommend that as a strategy, but just so you know that you can get a federal clerkship without it.

(That said - yeah, take it as a 3L, it's a tough class. So I heard from all my gunner friends who took it. :P )

To that point, I know people who will never take fed courts but have a Circuit clerkship.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:12 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I never took it. I don't recommend that as a strategy, but just so you know that you can get a federal clerkship without it.

To that point, I know people who will never take fed courts but have a Circuit clerkship.

Yeah, but just guess how dumb they'll look in front of their judges when they mistake Pullman abstention for Burford abstention. Noobs.

</nerd saracasm>

fluffybunny

Postby fluffybunny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

I hope this is right.

How bad could it be?
Citizen Genet wrote:Yeah, but just guess how dumb they'll look in front of their judges when they mistake Pullman abstention for Burford abstention. Noobs.

</nerd saracasm>
I don't get the joke, so maybe pretty bad.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm

ajax adonis wrote:It's all right. You can always clerk for People's Court.

"Hi, Judge. Here's my bench memo on the issue of whether Tyrique was a 'lazy-ass bitch' when he stayed with Chantel for a year without paying any rent."

Return to “Legal Employment”