What do I use for a 5-10 page (or less) Writing Sample?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LSL

What do I use for a 5-10 page (or less) Writing Sample?

Postby LSL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 pm

1L applying for summer internships here and I'm running into a problem. I know most people use legal writing projects as their writing sample. My shortest (completed/polished) writing project was 15 pages.

My problem is, some employers (I'm looking at non-profit/gov't) are asking for really short writing samples. A few are asking for 5-10 pages. The shortest is asking for less than 5.

In this situation, what's the recommended writing sample? Should I use part of one of my projects instead of the full thing? Or should I use something else completely? Thanks.

jessuf

Re: What do I use for a 5-10 page (or less) Writing Sample?

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 pm

You can take a longer writing sample and shorten it. For instance, if you have a memo with two issues, then just include 1 issue to chop it in half. Include a cover page that says the original has been shortened and offer to provide a full copy if the firm would like.

Edit: And for ones that ask for insanely short writing samples, just include your analysis from your memo or whatever paper you choose to use. Add only a brief facts section and issue statement so they understand what you're analyzing.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Just select your twenty best TLS posts and paste them together.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 pm

TTH wrote:Just select your twenty best TLS posts and paste them together.

Obvious CR.

Return to “Legal Employment”