2L - Reapplying to Biglaw in January?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L - Reapplying to Biglaw in January?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:50 am

Hi All, I have stats that barely missed out on Fall OCI hiring and I applied to every Biglaw firm in desired markets in the fall. Got a few interviews, and tons of rejections.

I was wondering if it makes sense to reapply now to the same, and if so, what is the best strategy to use. Thanks

rad lulz

Re: 2L - Reapplying to Biglaw in January?

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 am

Hiring is waaaay done by Jan at large firms bro. Some midsize may be going, but shit, even that usually happens in fall. So no, don't just reapply. That's a waste of time. You're not gonna get a SA bro. Drop out or find a plan B. If you are paying sticker, I'd drop out.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

I've heard from some people contemplating the same thing that most firms will ask you to wait for two reasons: (1) hiring is done and classes are set; and (2) firms would rather have a full second year worth of grades instead of just one additional semester.

I would just ask your career office because if it won't hurt your chances come OCI next year, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by applying now with your improved grades. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Good luck but almost all the ships in that fleet long since sailed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

In the same boat as OP after my offer was rescinded due to a firm merger. Sent out ~300 applications since December 1 and have heard nothing but crickets and rejections and the occasional "wish you would have applied earlier." Fortunately my side job of street walking should keep me fed this summer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:35 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I've heard from some people contemplating the same thing that most firms will ask you to wait for two reasons: (1) hiring is done and classes are set; and (2) firms would rather have a full second year worth of grades instead of just one additional semester.

I would just ask your career office because if it won't hurt your chances come OCI next year, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by applying now with your improved grades. Best of luck!

3L OCI is a joke.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean you shouldn't try, especially now when you have nothing to lose.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the same boat as OP after my offer was rescinded due to a firm merger. Sent out ~300 applications since December 1 and have heard nothing but crickets and rejections and the occasional "wish you would have applied earlier." Fortunately my side job of street walking should keep me fed this summer.

That really sucks. What merger resulted in an SA program being nixed or downsized?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm

IAFG wrote:Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean you shouldn't try, especially now when you have nothing to lose.

I dunno, the stress of applying itself for me would be reason enough not to do it. Writing targeted cover letters takes time, and doing enough of them to make mass-mailing worthwhile can take out a large chunk of time. Since biglaw is 99.9% done hiring, that's a lot of effort for almost zero prospects of return. Moreover, at least for me, getting unending rejections is really demoralizing, and makes me even more upset that I spent so much time tailoring a cover letter to a firm that probably didn't even read it.

I know it's difficult, but sooner or later OP will need to accept that biglaw is no longer a possibility. If OP absolutely must reapply, then he should at least include small/mid-sized firms so that he doesn't miss that boat as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In the same boat as OP after my offer was rescinded due to a firm merger. Sent out ~300 applications since December 1 and have heard nothing but crickets and rejections and the occasional "wish you would have applied earlier." Fortunately my side job of street walking should keep me fed this summer.

That really sucks. What merger resulted in an SA program being nixed or downsized?

Yeah, the notification fell nicely with finals so I had to cram a semester's worth of knowledge that I had given "sufficient for median" effort because of the offer. But I guess silver lining is having the opportunity to find someone else (maybe) rather than getting no-offered because of the merger. Won't disclose who - I was one of 5 pre-SAs who got the ax because I had "significant work experience" which should "make it much easier to find something else."

My favorite post-apocalypse rejections have been those that really are "impressed by my resume" and thank me "for the opportunity to review my credentials" but can't extend an offer because they aren't considering 1Ls. Yes, I make sure to call them out for their reading comprehension difficulties.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

IAFG wrote:Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean you shouldn't try, especially now when you have nothing to lose.

They should definitely try to target firms likely to still have openings, at least at first.

I think you gotta talk to career services, to see what rumors they have heard.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Yeah, the notification fell nicely with finals so I had to cram a semester's worth of knowledge that I had given "sufficient for median" effort because of the offer. But I guess silver lining is having the opportunity to find someone else (maybe) rather than getting no-offered because of the merger. Won't disclose who - I was one of 5 pre-SAs who got the ax because I had "significant work experience" which should "make it much easier to find something else."

My favorite post-apocalypse rejections have been those that really are "impressed by my resume" and thank me "for the opportunity to review my credentials" but can't extend an offer because they aren't considering 1Ls. Yes, I make sure to call them out for their reading comprehension difficulties.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
That sucks. But in all seriousness, you should talk to your CSO. And search for the Dewey thread from last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:56 pm

OP, I am on the same boat as you. I have decided not to re-apply this semester unless I hear of rumors/posting that a particular firm is looking. I think my time is better worth looking at smaller firms and in-house opportunities. The latter just because I want to make some money during the summer... and who knows, maybe if I do a good job, some of the inhouse people might say a good word about me to firm people they know.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, I am on the same boat as you. I have decided not to re-apply this semester unless I hear of rumors/posting that a particular firm is looking. I think my time is better worth looking at smaller firms and in-house opportunities. The latter just because I want to make some money during the summer... and who knows, maybe if I do a good job, some of the inhouse people might say a good word about me to firm people they know.

You have PLENTY of time to do both since job hunting is at least as important as any other task including sleep.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

They should definitely try to target firms likely to still have openings, at least at first.

I think you gotta talk to career services, to see what rumors they have heard.

I heard of at least one person who struck out at OCI who got a job at a V15 (in CA) by applying after getting back their first semester 2L grades. Keep hustling.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm

+1 to everything IAFG said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Absolutely keep applying and keep spamming. Numerous Dewey kids got v50 offers spring semester of 2L after that boat sank. Especially at the beginning of the semester, you will have a couple of months where you really don't have to do much work for class, so why not spend every waking hour spamming spamming spamming? Definitely reach out to midlaw and smaller shops in addition to the biglaw, but there's absolutely no reason not to keep applying. I can't imagine that biglaw classes are set in granite due to the nature of hiring (people who've had offers extended to them can turn down offers because they've accepted other offers, and there's always fungibility in summer class sizes because tweaking class size +/- person is more of an art than science).

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 pm

BigLaw is dead, but it doesn't hurt.

Return to “Legal Employment”