LLM - worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

LLM - worth it?

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:01 am

Let's say I graduate around top 35% at a T1. Employment isn't exactly guaranteed. Would an LLM from Columbia increase my chances of employment (labor and employment law)? Seeing as how US firms care about prestige, wouldn't this help?

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawIdiot86

Re: LLM - worth it?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 am

They wouldn't care about it anymore than they would care about hiring you if you earned your MSED from Columbia. They like prestige, but prestige within their frame of reference.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:18 am

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:24 am

zomginternets wrote:Image

^That.

The LLM isn't BONUS LEGAL POINTS YEAAHHHH! It's a highly specialized degree that by and large is used by foreign-educated attorneys to get a foothold in the U.S. Some other small niches exist, most obviously the tax LLM, but if you don't know why you think you need an LLM the odds are it won't help.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:37 am

Generally, an LLM teaches practicibg attorneys specialized knowledge in a niche field. Only get an LLM if:
A) you're a young attorney working in that field and want to get more in depth knowledge
B) you're an attorney who wants to change specialization
C) you're a practicing attorney from another country, looking to learn US law
D) Tax

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 pm

dingbat wrote:Only get an LLM if:A) you're a young attorney working in that field and want to get more in depth knowledge

D) Tax

Fixed.

Also, that chart is 5 years old. Florida's Tax LLM is pure garbage from an employment standpoint since they got dropped from the big tax OCI fair 2 (?) years ago.

Really, it should say something more like:

Is the Tax LLM at NYU? If yes, proceed with caution. If no, lolpullripcord.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
dingbat wrote:Only get an LLM if:A) you're a young attorney working in that field and want to get more in depth knowledge

D) Tax

Fixed.

Also, that chart is 5 years old. Florida's Tax LLM is pure garbage from an employment standpoint since they got dropped from the big tax OCI fair 2 (?) years ago.

I meant A and B to acquire knowledge, whereas C and D are for furthering a career. For example, if you fall into estate planning, there's a chance you might not otherwise get exposure to, and therefore learn about, all the different options for structuring and funding a trust. It won't help you break into the field, and you can be successful without knowing the intricacies of a non-grantor intergenerational split dollar legacy trust, but if you have clients whose irrevocable life insurance trust is subject to generation skipping transfer tax, it could save them money.

Education isn't just about getting a job. It an also be useful for getting better at said job

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:14 pm

dingbat wrote:
IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:

D) Tax

Fixed.

I meant A and B to acquire knowledge, whereas C and D are for furthering a career. For example, if you fall into estate planning, there's a chance you might not otherwise get exposure to, and therefore learn about, all the different options for structuring and funding a trust. It won't help you break into the field, and you can be successful without knowing the intricacies of a non-grantor intergenerational split dollar legacy trust, but if you have clients whose irrevocable life insurance trust is subject to generation skipping transfer tax, it could save them money.

Education isn't just about getting a job. It an also be useful for getting better at said job

Still highly unlikely to be worth $47,000+ in tuition when you can learn the exact same information through CLEs. I knew what ya meant, I just think you are wrong.

There may be some uber rare exception where flushing full pop for a non-tax LLM may be worth it in a weird 1 in a million scenario, but virtually everyone who pursues those things (even practicing attorneys) are suckers.

Return to “Legal Employment”