Do Clerkships require a similar Background check as the DOJ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do Clerkships require a similar Background check as the DOJ?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I ask because I would like to begin smoking marijuana for health reasons occasionally, but I know that you have to disclose "any" drug use on the DOJ forms.
I'd rather not be in the position of lying on a background check in the event I got a clerkship, so I'd simply just not smoke if such a background check is required.

LeDique

Re: Do Clerkships require a similar Background check as the DOJ?

Postby LeDique » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm picturing you sitting around with your friends, who are trying to pressure you to try marijuana, and you being all "wait let me check with the internet first."

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Clerk in CO or WA and profit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm

I am a federal clerk and did not have to answer any questions about prior drug use. There was a background check, but it was just the basic stuff (ever been arrested? etc.)

However, "I'd like to start smoking pot for health reasons" is pretty spurious. Unless you're on chemo, pot's not going to do anything to help you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a federal clerk and did not have to answer any questions about prior drug use. There was a background check, but it was just the basic stuff (ever been arrested? etc.)

However, "I'd like to start smoking pot for health reasons" is pretty spurious. Unless you're on chemo, pot's not going to do anything to help you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a federal clerk and did not have to answer any questions about prior drug use. There was a background check, but it was just the basic stuff (ever been arrested? etc.)

Clerk here. Same. They did a criminal background test and fingerprinting.

But some judges apparently do require drug tests. They're allowed to, but the overwhelming majority don't care.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 pm

I chuckled at "for health reasons" but honestly I think it's a pretty legit anxiety med.

Return to “Legal Employment”