What employer DOESN'T drug test?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What employer DOESN'T drug test?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm

1L here. No need to lecture me on my habits. I smoke marijuana every now and then for anxiety issues. I started when my mother was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Grades are okay so far- A in legal writing, B+ in Torts.

My question is, which employers are less likely to drug test for a summer position? Do all government agencies drug test? I'm willing to stop smoking next semester, but do their tests go back further? What about judicial internships?

Any advice appreciated, unless you're going to lecture me. You don't know me, don't pretend too, lets just stick to the question being asked please.

exitoptions

Re: What employer DOESN'T drug test?

Postby exitoptions » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Judicial internships and clerkships do not generally test, nor do law firms. I suppose some might, but I've never heard of it. I know quite a few lawyers who partake and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

DOJ and other agencies will ask you in a background check and then it could problematic especially if you lie and they find out.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:35 pm

exitoptions wrote:Judicial internships and clerkships do not generally test, nor do law firms. I suppose some might, but I've never heard of it. I know quite a few lawyers who partake and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

DOJ and other agencies will ask you in a background check and then it could problematic especially if you lie and they find out.

Gov't jobs tend to test. Most judicial internships and big firms do not. Some smaller offices do. I currently work as a law clerk in the law office of a RR company and I was tested because it's a company wide policy.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Everyone I know in law school who smoked pot is unemployed because of it. Most legal employers randomly drug test. The law school even tested summer research assistants; they caught one guy who had smoked one time a few months prior to the job starting. Eventually the school let him stay enrolled but fired him immediately (over his professor's objection).

This is to say nothing of the immense harm to your body these substances cause. It may be too late for you in the legal industry, but you should try to clean up and make the most of the rest of your life elsewhere.

Substance abuse is not tolerated in the industry. Lawyers have the lowest incidence of alcoholism and addiction of any profession.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:Everyone I know in law school who smoked pot is unemployed because of it. Most legal employers randomly drug test. The law school even tested summer research assistants; they caught one guy who had smoked one time a few months prior to the job starting. Eventually the school let him stay enrolled but fired him immediately (over his professor's objection).

This is to say nothing of the immense harm to your body these substances cause. It may be too late for you in the legal industry, but you should try to clean up and make the most of the rest of your life elsewhere.

Substance abuse is not tolerated in the industry. Lawyers have the lowest incidence of alcoholism and addiction of any profession.

:? :arrow: :lol:

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:Everyone I know in law school who smoked pot is unemployed because of it. Most legal employers randomly drug test. The law school even tested summer research assistants; they caught one guy who had smoked one time a few months prior to the job starting. Eventually the school let him stay enrolled but fired him immediately (over his professor's objection).

This. :lol:

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Forgot about the zero tolerance rule. You're screwed unless you're in Washington state...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 pm

OP here. You're probably referring to urine testing and that's not a big deal for me - if I don't smoke at all next semester, I can easily pass it. Those tests only go back so far.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. You're probably referring to urine testing and that's not a big deal for me - if I don't smoke at all next semester, I can easily pass it. Those tests only go back so far.

:roll:

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Op- the sea lo is fucking with you. Quit smoking pot as soon as you can. It's definitely not worth it.

Good luck.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm glad you're trying to turn your life around.

Have you accepted Jesus? Before you answer, please consider that the Baby Jesus loves you - unconditionally! Even if you have sinned, the Baby Jesus will still be there for you and will forgive you. The Baby Jesus can save you from the pain and suffering of the world and all He asks of you is that you return His love.

Is that so much to ask for Salvation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here. No need to lecture me on my habits. I smoke marijuana every now and then for anxiety issues. I started when my mother was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year. Grades are okay so far- A in legal writing, B+ in Torts.

My question is, which employers are less likely to drug test for a summer position? Do all government agencies drug test? I'm willing to stop smoking next semester, but do their tests go back further? What about judicial internships?

Any advice appreciated, unless you're going to lecture me. You don't know me, don't pretend too, lets just stick to the question being asked please.

There are legal drugs your doctor can prescribe for anxiety. I had anxiety early in law school, so much that I was ready to quit. Usually I don't like medicine but my wife is an RN and convinced me to see the doctor. Stuff works great!

too16

Postby too16 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I think you may be a little off base noting the "immense harm" marijuana causes to your body and with your claim that lawyers have the lowest incidence of alcoholism & addiction. Most know that alcoholism & addiction is much more prevalent in the legal profession than the rest of the adult population, primarily due to the stress of the field and many schools actually hold programs to educate students about the prevailing alcoholism. Recreational use of pot will not contribute to immense harm of your body, and in fact nearly 40% of the states in the union think there is actually some benefit from it (who woulda thought!?). Anywho, I just get tired of these misconceptions spreading and couldn't sit idly by. You're definitely right about abstaining though. Its not worth the risk, whether you'll be tested for it or not. Id recommend the op take advantage of the many other methods of treating anxiety. Smoking pot and as a result worrying about passing a drug test probably negatively contributes to the anxiety you already have. Wish you the best!

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Smoking marijuana will cause you to beat your wife and even open doors for your experimentation into heroine and methamphetamine. Ditch the reefer as soon as possible or your life is destined for failure.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Smoking marijuana will cause you to beat your wife and even open doors for your experimentation into heroine and methamphetamine. Ditch the reefer as soon as possible or your life is destined for failure.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:14 pm

too16 wrote:

I think you may be a little off base noting the "immense harm" marijuana causes to your body and with your claim that lawyers have the lowest incidence of alcoholism & addiction. Most know that alcoholism & addiction is much more prevalent in the legal profession than the rest of the adult population, primarily due to the stress of the field and many schools actually hold programs to educate students about the prevailing alcoholism. Recreational use of pot will not contribute to immense harm of your body, and in fact nearly 40% of the states in the union think there is actually some benefit from it (who woulda thought!?). Anywho, I just get tired of these misconceptions spreading and couldn't sit idly by. You're definitely right about abstaining though. Its not worth the risk, whether you'll be tested for it or not. Id recommend the op take advantage of the many other methods of treating anxiety. Smoking pot and as a result worrying about passing a drug test probably negatively contributes to the anxiety you already have. Wish you the best!

Indeed. :roll:

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:33 pm

too16 wrote:

I'm with thesealocust here. This reply is just wrong on so many levels.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm

too16 wrote:

Like 40% of the states supported slavery too.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm

i hear there's a lot of herb in judges' chambers.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 pm

LeDique wrote:
too16 wrote:I think you may be a little off base noting the "immense harm" marijuana causes to your body and with your claim that lawyers have the lowest incidence of alcoholism & addiction. Most know that alcoholism & addiction is much more prevalent in the legal profession than the rest of the adult population, primarily due to the stress of the field and many schools actually hold programs to educate students about the prevailing alcoholism. Recreational use of pot will not contribute to immense harm of your body, and in fact nearly 40% of the states in the union think there is actually some benefit from it (who woulda thought!?). Anywho, I just get tired of these misconceptions spreading and couldn't sit idly by. You're definitely right about abstaining though. Its not worth the risk, whether you'll be tested for it or not. Id recommend the op take advantage of the many other methods of treating anxiety. Smoking pot and as a result worrying about passing a drug test probably negatively contributes to the anxiety you already have. Wish you the best!

Like 40% of the states supported slavery too.

too16 supports slavery, and you do too if you agree with him.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 pm

too16 wrote:

great more fucking libtards ruining our country

too16

Postby too16 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:55 pm

[/quote]

Like 40% of the states supported slavery too.[/quote]

"supported", past tense. Great attempt at drawing an analogy though. Argue with science all you want, my point was defeating the myth that recreational smoking causes immense harm to the body and that the legal profession doesn't have a serious problem with substance abuse, as it does. And to FeelTheHeat, you don't have to be a liberal (which I presume you were trying to spell when you typed "libtard") to agree that there is some medicinal value to marijuana. And never in my post did I object to the current federal laws, fyi. This board isn't the place to offend people with your distasteful and insensitive language. Lastly, I really hope that some of you could learn to express your opinions without resulting to insults, but I do understand that for some the internet is the only place where you can display such bravado. Lets try to let this thread be about responding to the OP's question and not about throwing insults and lambasting those whose political ideologies may differ from our own. I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Don't succumb to reefer madness

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:04 pm

too16 wrote:

Whoosh

presh

Postby presh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Last edited by presh on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”