Foreign law firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

Foreign law firms

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:54 am

I'm not sure why there aren't posts on foreign law firms; you get both travel and work experience. Has anyone had experience abroad for their 1L summer? I'm thinking Hong Kong, Japan, or Korea, but I'm worried that this might somehow diminish my chances at US biglaw? Should I just stay safe and work in the states?

dingbat

Re: Foreign law firms

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 am

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I'm not sure why there aren't posts on foreign law firms; you get both travel and work experience. Has anyone had experience abroad for their 1L summer? I'm thinking Hong Kong, Japan, or Korea, but I'm worried that this might somehow diminish my chances at US biglaw? Should I just stay safe and work in the states?

There are some hiring committee people on this board who'll tell you that what you do 1L doesn't matter much, so long as it's something legal. I also hear from people who've done it that a summer abroad gives them something to talk about during interviews.
But ask these guys http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163550

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 pm

PM'd

Rising Son

Postby Rising Son » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 am

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I'm not sure why there aren't posts on foreign law firms; you get both travel and work experience. Has anyone had experience abroad for their 1L summer? I'm thinking Hong Kong, Japan, or Korea, but I'm worried that this might somehow diminish my chances at US biglaw? Should I just stay safe and work in the states?

I'd say prima facie any opportunity to work abroad is a valuable opportunity. Particularly if you're able to secure a summer internship abroad with a multinational firm (commonly called "big law" on TLS), and especially if that firm has an office(s) in the state or jurisdiction in which you'd like to ultimately work. Global firms have the name recognition and prestige that transcends, of course. Not to mention the network you will develop.

I'm an American, JD candidate studying fulltime in a Hong Kong university (I've lived and worked in Asia for several years). If the schedule goes to plan, I'll be studying at Columbia Law for part of summer break, then interning at a multinational firm in HK for the remainder before fall classes commence. So, if you end up in HK let me know.

Return to “Legal Employment”