(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:44 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Doing JAG and then clerking?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current 2L who is interested in clerking for a d. ct. judge and also doing JAG. I'd like to do both if possible in my future legal career. Is it heard of to JAG first and then work for a judge (after fulfilling at least my time commitment to JAG)? That would be my most desired route, if plausible. Anyone done this? Know of someone who did this? Heard of judges who accept JAGs? Gracias.

The more traditional route would be clerkship first and then JAG, but you can do the reverse. The law clerk I replaced did JAG first and then became a clerk. There is also another judge in my courthouse that did JAG and prefers law clerk candidates with a military background. So in a word, YES it is possible.

lsapplicant07

Postby lsapplicant07 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by lsapplicant07 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 am

Definitely doable. I'll be clerking in the fall and have been a state prosecutor for about 4 years. Depends on the judge. Sure, some of the big academics in the toughest districts really want 3Ls or people with 1-2 years at great firms, but I've found others to be suprisingly receptive to people coming out of government after a couple years if you have the school/grades and credentials.

Also, there are a bunch of judges all over the place who were JAG, are still JAG Reserve, or who served in the military. I'd target them.

Return to “Legal Employment”