apply to internships of little interest?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

apply to internships of little interest?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 am

so we hear about these 300+ letters going out

do you guys apply to 1L summers to places that you arent very interested in?

dingbat

Re: apply to internships of little interest?

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:so we hear about these 300+ letters going out

do you guys apply to 1L summers to places that you arent very interested in?

I'm not applying anywhere I'm not interested in. Ask me in about 6 months how that worked out

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 am

im interested in any internship i can get

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 am

Sometimes applying anywhere and everywhere can backfire. It's better to spend more time making tailored cover letters than to just spam anyone and everyone. I am helping to evaluate 1L applicants for one organization right now and it's quite clear who is actually interested and who is just sending applications all over the place.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:47 am

worldtraveler wrote:Sometimes applying anywhere and everywhere can backfire. It's better to spend more time making tailored cover letters than to just spam anyone and everyone. I am helping to evaluate 1L applicants for one organization right now and it's quite clear who is actually interested and who is just sending applications all over the place.

care to elaborate?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 am

atcushman wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Sometimes applying anywhere and everywhere can backfire. It's better to spend more time making tailored cover letters than to just spam anyone and everyone. I am helping to evaluate 1L applicants for one organization right now and it's quite clear who is actually interested and who is just sending applications all over the place.

care to elaborate?

I'm mainly commenting on public interest stuff so obviously this may be different for other employers.

Your cover letter needs to indicate that you put some time into understanding the organization and the internship, and how your specific skills apply to this. This means concrete examples of the type of work or things you have studied in the past that qualified you, and how those examples relate to the organization. This also takes quite a bit of time. A good cover letter can really make up for a lackluster resume if someone can really connect why their experiences and background are appropriate for the position, even if it's not intuitive from the resume.

Most people write really generic stuff in their cover letters which is clearly copied and pasted from other letters. It's incredibly obvious. I've seen people talk about writing skills for the entire cover letter when the application clearly asked them to address their ability to relate to clients of various backgrounds. Most people just use vague words about being hard working, committed, driven, passionate, etc. but don't go beyond those things. Most of these letters go in the auto ding pile unless their resume is incredible.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:37 am

sweet thanks for the tips

Return to “Legal Employment”