Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
splittermcsplit88

Question

Postby splittermcsplit88 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:01 am

I'm a 1L, and I was fortunate enough to end up top 10% my first semester. I know 1L Biglaw summers are relatively rare, but I want to at least see if it's possible. There's a hiring manager in my region, how can I email him/her? Can I say that I have top grades and I would love the opportunity to work for free, or is that too much?

Wholigan

Re: Question

Postby Wholigan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:38 am

splittermcsplit88 wrote: Can I say that I have top grades and I would love the opportunity to work for free, or is that too much?

Too much. Biglaw firms will either hire you and pay you, or not hire you. They are generally not interesting in hiring unpaid summers. Did you already apply to this firm you are interested in? If so, just send them a copy of your transcript and tell them you would like to update your application. If not, send a regular application and include your transcript and they'll know about your grades that way.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:53 am

Unpaid internships with for-profit employers are generally illegal (with some narrow exceptions), so I wouldn't make that suggestion. (I'm sure they happen, they're just not supposed to.)

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:45 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Don't put you're willing to work for free. Have some self-respect still. If a girl came up to you and said she's willing to date you even if it means you sleep around and ignore her on weekdays, wouldn't you lose some respect for her?

would smang

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm

splittermcsplit88 wrote:I'm a 1L, and I was fortunate enough to end up top 10% my first semester. I know 1L Biglaw summers are relatively rare, but I want to at least see if it's possible. There's a hiring manager in my region, how can I email him/her? Can I say that I have top grades and I would love the opportunity to work for free, or is that too much?

What is your school rank?

HYS?
CCN?
T14?
T25?
T1?

It really makes a difference in this situation.

Return to “Legal Employment”