Questions for Current Big Law Associates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Questions for Current Big Law Associates

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm

scc1986 wrote:Can any current associates comment on the regions and/or large firms that would be better for family life. I have a wife and baby and am starting 1l at a top 14, hopefully.
Texas.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm

scc1986 wrote:Can any current associates comment on the regions and/or large firms that would be better for family life. I have a wife and baby and am starting 1l at a top 14, hopefully.
France

Gold

Re: Questions for Current Big Law Asssociates

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:10 pm

kritiosboy wrote:The S&P was up 12% this year.
12-year return on the S&P 500 is -6%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm

OP Here:

Thanks for the insight everyone...although it has gotten much more complicated than I thought.

Let me give some background info....

I will be working in big law in NYC....I have no loans......no children....no property....no anything....I've worked a ton before law school but obviously not anything which pays 160K....I will be 25 by the time I graduate....Basically, I am starting fresh....

I just have an IRA but I plan on getting a 401(K) asap....

Recommendations on things you would do if you were in my situation (other investment vehicles)... I figured current big law associates would have better insight than current law students

Thanks in advance.... and oh....if you suggest more things that I should read (see original post), please feel free to post it
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:38 pm

^live frugally and max out your loan repayments

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: Questions for Current Big Law Asssociates

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:39 pm

djfe4president

New

Post by djfe4president » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:58 pm

dingbat wrote:^live frugally and max out your loan repayments
I have no loans

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here:

Thanks for the insight everyone...although it has gotten much more complicated than I thought.

Let me give some background info....

I will be working in big law in NYC....I have no loans......no children....no property....no anything....I've worked a ton before law school but obviously not anything which pays 160K....I will be 25 by the time I graduate....Basically, I am starting fresh....

I just have an IRA but I plan on getting a 401(K) asap....

Recommendations on things you would do if you were in my situation (other investment vehicles)... I figured current big law associates would have better insight than current law students

Thanks in advance.... and oh....if you suggest more things that I should read (see original post), please feel free to post it
If the IRA is pre-tax and not huge you should probably just convert it all to a Roth now and take the tax hit. Then going forward you can make Roth IRA contributions by putting the money into a traditional IRA and then immediately converting without having to deal with any tax consequences. Otherwise there aren't a lot of secrets; just save a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”