Bar exam if you're working abroad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
worldtraveler

Bar exam if you're working abroad

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm almost certain I will be working abroad after graduation in a legal job, but not one that would require bar membership in a particular state. I am probably still going to take the bar though, just in case I decide to come back and work in the USA or if I ever apply for a job abroad that expects me to have bar membership here. I have no desire of ever working for a firm in the US or doing a clerkship. Solely interested in human rights related positions.

I am trying to decide what bar to take, if any.
My options are
A) take NY or CA, the two biggest and some say most internationally recognized (if that's actually a thing), but also two of the hardest
B) take a random state that has a high passing percentage, which would also allow me to waive into DC or some other states in the future if I want it
C) don't take the bar, at least not right now

If anybody has any experience in this area, would much appreciate your advice.

dingbat

Re: Bar exam if you're working abroad

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 pm

I've known lawyers who came from abroad and have been here for years and never took the bar. Just keep in mind that it will somewhat limit your options, but no more than working abroad without being admitted to the local bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 am

worldtraveler wrote:I'm almost certain I will be working abroad after graduation in a legal job, but not one that would require bar membership in a particular state. I am probably still going to take the bar though, just in case I decide to come back and work in the USA or if I ever apply for a job abroad that expects me to have bar membership here. I have no desire of ever working for a firm in the US or doing a clerkship. Solely interested in human rights related positions.

My options are
A) take NY or CA, the two biggest and some say most internationally recognized (if that's actually a thing), but also two of the hardest
B) take a random state that has a high passing percentage, which would also allow me to waive into DC or some other states in the future if I want it

If you take NY, just know that you have to get sworn in physically in NY (some jurisdictions not the case). For the first year, you have to do your CLEs physically in NY - would mean traveling back a few times a year. Not sure about CA CLEs.

On the other hand, DC has no CLE reqs. Although you don't intend to practice, but if you do, after 5 yrs practicing with DC bar, can waive into NY. Waiving into DC takes 6 months-1 yr if you're barred in other state.

Prob better to take the bar while law school is fresh...just gets harder the longer you wait.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I'm almost certain I will be working abroad after graduation in a legal job, but not one that would require bar membership in a particular state. I am probably still going to take the bar though, just in case I decide to come back and work in the USA or if I ever apply for a job abroad that expects me to have bar membership here. I have no desire of ever working for a firm in the US or doing a clerkship. Solely interested in human rights related positions.

My options are

If you take NY, just know that you have to get sworn in physically in NY (some jurisdictions not the case). For the first year, you have to do your CLEs physically in NY - would mean traveling back a few times a year. Not sure about CA CLEs.

On the other hand, DC has no CLE reqs. Although you don't intend to practice, but if you do, after 5 yrs practicing with DC bar, can waive into NY. Waiving into DC takes 6 months-1 yr if you're barred in other state.

Prob better to take the bar while law school is fresh...just gets harder the longer you wait.

Thanks a lot! The CLE requirement in NY would be a huge barrier and cost me thousands in airfare, so definitely can't do that.

Return to “Legal Employment”