Graduate Level or MBA Internships for 2L's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparty99

Gold

Graduate Level or MBA Internships for 2L's

Post by sparty99 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:40 am

I was wondering if any 2L was able to get a non-legal internship? Specifically, a graduate level or internship that usually goes to MBA's?

Anonymous User

Re: Graduate Level or MBA Internships for 2L's

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:00 am

I'm a 3L and worked at a hedge fund last summer. Know a few others who did consulting and funds both thos uear and last year. Doesn't pay as much as SA but is very useful if you dont wanna practice after graduation.

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 am

They play baseball in puerto rico. Am I too late at this point? Thanks.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 am

What's your background? If you have work experience that would have made you competitive for an MBA you might be able to swing it, but if you're a K-JD or worked as a paralegal or something this is going to be a tough road.

shotsfired12

Bronze

Post by shotsfired12 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 am

They play baseball in puerto rico.
Last edited by shotsfired12 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 pm

SHANbangs wrote:
Borg wrote:What's your background? If you have work experience that would have made you competitive for an MBA you might be able to swing it, but if you're a K-JD or worked as a paralegal or something this is going to be a tough road.
Unfortunately, the latter.
Well, are you at a point where big firms are out? If so, and if you really think you're done pursuing law, I would recommend doing the following:

1) Cross register with the business school as much as possible, and do not let them say no to you. Absolutely take accounting and corporate finance, even if you just have to audit. Also take a course on capital markets (they will teach you the fundamentals of bonds, equities, derivatives etc.) If they say it's full, show up on the first day and plead. Get into these classes. Even if your schedule is already set for next semester, move some shit around and make this happen. It's absolutely critical.

2) Get an internship during the term. Find an alum from the law school who is working in finance/business and reach out. Tell them you'll work for free and just want the experience. If you're in a city, this shouldn't be that hard. You need to be willing to put in a ton of effort to get out there and make this happen, and it's going to be crucial in terms of adding something to your resume that will be helpful down the road. You might not be able to land a hedge fund position for the summer, but at least you can start building a good relationship and learning what you're going to need to know.

Understand that a lot of MBAs have no idea what they are doing right up until spring of their graduating year, so be patient. Take what you can get for the summer, but focus the rest of your academic terms on making sure that you have an internship in a business capacity somewhere. Building relationships like that is how a lot of people in the business school walk out with full time opportunities.

Be ready to expend a TON of energy on this. It's not a game, and it's not easy, but it is possible and you can walk out with something good. You are going to have to do serious work on your own to learn more about finance and business. Daily visits to Investopedia, going to speakers on campus, and maybe enrolling in a Training the Street course on the fundamentals of corporate valuation are a good start.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Will the OP message me.....I have prior WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”