Demand letter as writing sample?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawtype1

Demand letter as writing sample?

Postby lawtype1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 pm

I interned for a civil rights organization that made heavy use of demand letters for incidents that they didn't have the resources to sue over. They weren't generic "here's what happened" letters, but were research- and citation-heavy letters that read more like mini briefs. Reading over them, I think they're good, concise illustrations of my research, analysis and persuasive writing skills, even though they're not as formalistic as a memo or court filing. Is it a bad idea to submit one as a writing sample? I have other options, but they're either very short and somewhat pro forma, or from class simulations (i.e., not the real world).

Re: Demand letter as writing sample?

Postby 20160810 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm

This is probably fine as long as it's not contrary to their instructions.

Agent

Re: Demand letter as writing sample?

Postby Agent » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:33 pm

+1

SBL wrote:This is probably fine as long as it's not contrary to their instructions.

Return to “Legal Employment”