references for 1L summer (or whatever year summer)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

references for 1L summer (or whatever year summer)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 pm

so usually we need three.

can these be addressed for anything? or specifically for the job we are getting?

obviously a law student may apply to a lot of places with requirement of references.

i dont really know exactly what to do. seems a bit ridiculous to get a respective reference for each place.

can it be for something like law school?

LeDique

Re: references for 1L summer (or whatever year summer)

Postby LeDique » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:43 pm

I might be misunderstanding, but what I sent last year to places that requested references was a sheet with each reference's name, address, phone number, and email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:40 pm

u mean a list of people they could call/email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:03 am

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Your references should be people that can speak to your character and work ethic. IIRC 1L summer I listed a manager at a job I had following undergrad and a couple of undergrad professors I had a good relationship with. 2L summer I replaced them all with folks from the nonprofit I worked at the previous summer. Ask folks if they wouldn't mind being a reference for you, and if they agree list their name, position, phone, email, and address. I would suggest you aim for about 3. The more recent the better, the more substantial the better. If you don't have a recent employer that can vouch for you, then try to draw from your undergrad. If you have a law prof that you have a relationship with, you could ask them. Don't list anything from high school, friends, or family.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if I understand your question. Your references should be people that can speak to your character and work ethic. IIRC 1L summer I listed a manager at a job I had following undergrad and a couple of undergrad professors I had a good relationship with. 2L summer I replaced them all with folks from the nonprofit I worked at the previous summer. Ask folks if they wouldn't mind being a reference for you, and if they agree list their name, position, phone, email, and address. I would suggest you aim for about 3. The more recent the better, the more substantial the better. If you don't have a recent employer that can vouch for you, then try to draw from your undergrad. If you have a law prof that you have a relationship with, you could ask them. Don't list anything from high school, friends, or family.

It sounds like OP is thinking that a reference will write a letter for each application (like law school apps), which is not the case. Just include their name and contact info on a page with the same heading as your other application materials. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:33 pm

thanks a lot guys. big help.

did u guys just do it on a word document?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks a lot guys. big help.

did u guys just do it on a word document?

What other kind of document would it be?

See here for an example. The header and formatting look like utter shit but you get the idea.

Return to “Legal Employment”